Chapter Ten: Royal Balls

I left the gardens concerned, wondering why Sophia would lie to me. She'd always seemed so open and kind to me, so to straight-up lie to my face was something I had never expected her to do. Maybe she'd gotten confused and mixed up her schedule. That would be understandable, with all of the confusion about the attack. But there was always the chance that she'd lied on purpose. If she'd done that, she had probably wanted to get away from me. However, that would be bizarre, as just moments before, she'd rescued me from Rancover. It made no sense.
I returned to my apartments, bewildered. I'm an attempt to relax, I went to the bathroom to see if there was anything in there that could calm my nerves. The room was very spacious for a restroom, with art framed on the walls and a glass bubble sitting in the corner. Curious, I crept closer to inspect the peculiar object. It was large, big enough to fit a person inside comfortably. There was a lever near the entrance door, with blue and red slivers painted on. I chuckled. It seemed to be the Mer equivalent to a bath. Why a species that resided in water would need a bath tub was beyond me, but that didn't stop me from turning the lever. A wave of heat washed over me, causing me to sigh in relief. I swam into the bubble and closed the door, the growing heat of the space inside seeping into my tense muscles. I sank down to the translucent floor and curled into a ball, my eyes getting droopy. I looked up to my left and saw a tray filled with scented oils and perfumes. I tried each one, the aroma becoming so overwhelming that I had to step out of the wonderful bubble and back into the main section of the room. The heat difference was shocking at first, but the warmth gradually left my skin. I smiled, amazed. It was embarrassing that I was getting so exited over what most residents of the palace probably used every day, but I couldn't help myself.
I settled into the silky bed sheets, my black hair sprawled out on the pillows. As my wonder began to subside, my mind went back to thinking of Sophia's lie and my flawed plan to bring justice to the Cocelian siren. I now knew the different guard shifts, the times those shifts changed, and the amount of time I would have to escape when the guards were changing. But that was only the tip of the iceberg in what this plan required. I had to know what to do when I finally did confront this siren, and I had to know where to find it. Aiden had unknowingly narrowed it down for me, but what he gave me was still a lot of seafloor to cover.
     I didn't know how I was going to pull it off.
     I closed my eyes in concentration. What else could I do? I had a rough escape plan prepared, but I didn't know what I would do after that. The wreckage of the attacked ship would be a good starting place, but it would be swarming with guards. It would be impossible to get even close to that place. Returning to the library would be a good place to continue researching, but information could only get me so far. And the siren could be back at any given time.
     I covered my face with my hands and groaned. I was getting nowhere.
      It wasn't long before Ash entered the room with my supper, her black uniform swirling around her lavender tail. Her red hair was pinned up in a twist, and she looked exhausted.
     "Long day?" I asked pleasantly.
     She sighed. "All anyone talked about was sirens all day. It was mortifying."
     I nodded. "Tell me about it."
     Ash set her silver tray down and pulled out a stiff price of canvas. It was highly decorated and bore fancy calligraphy. An invitation.
     I scrunched my eyebrows together. "What's this for?"
     Ash grinned. "Her majesty the Queen has ordered that all lords, ladies, and royal advisers  are invited to a ball in tomorrow to celebrate Naviana's strength against a common enemy."
Ash broke character and snuck in a mischievous smile. "So it's basically code for a massive party to calm everyone the hell down."
      I laughed. The fact that the Queen's first instinct to calm the palace down was to through a party was hilarious enough, but this also presented a chance for me to sneak out. The guards would be focused on protecting the partygoers and would be mostly on the main floor, not at the gates. I just needed more information...
     Ash handed me my food. "You have a dress fitting tomorrow with Madam Elise."
I raised an eyebrow. Me? Getting fitted for a ball? The tops in my dresser were elaborate enough by my standards, but a ball gown seemed otherworldly.
"Oh. What are those like?"
Ash ran her fingers through her hair. "I'm the wrong person to ask. Never had one."
I flushed red. My question had been insensitive, and no matter how many times she covered it up with a smile, there was always a look in her eyes that she was anything but happy.
I sighed and sat up. The ball would be my best shot at catching the siren. But with no plan and slim chances of escape, my deadline seemed to be racing towards me like a deadly bullet.