Chapter Four: Queen Melusine

It was only a short bit of time before the door to the room opened, letting blinding light flood into the room. I squinted, and what lay in front of me caused my jaw to hit the floor. We were stationed outside of a lavish building with elaborate marble columns and golden turrets. Even the small section I could see from my position was gorgeous and grand.
     Rowan cut my bindings with a silver blade, releasing me from the pole I was tied to. Although my wrists were still bound, it felt good to be free of that damn pole.
     Taron led the way to the palace entrance, followed by Rowan and I. Guards dressed in golden armor patrolled the grounds, spears raised and swords sheathed at their hips. I swallowed hard.
     Taron approached one of the patrol men and said in a commanding voice, "I am Officer Thomas Taron, and I have a scheduled hearing with the Queen this afternoon. Will you grant us passage?"
The guard stared down his nose at Taron. "Do you have a pass issued by the Queen?"
Taron smiled cockily. "Yes. In fact, I have a voice conch from her majesty herself." Taron fumbled through a bag hanging from his shoulder. He drew a small she'll from it and handed into the guard.
The guard held the delicate shell up to his ear, an ironic sight due to how large his hands were. He then handed the conch back to Taron, and waved his arm forwards.
"Right this way, Officer."
Taron smirked triumphantly, motioning for Rowan to follow. Rowan pushed me forwards and through a set of massive golden-plated doors. We entered a large room with a high arched ceiling and a decorative floor made up of thousands of bits of sea glass. The pieces came together to form a mural of three mermaids sitting on three thrones on the ocean floor. The woman on the left had long copper hair that flowed down to her waist and bright smiling eyes. The mermaid in the center had a much more authoritative stature, with a golden crown resting on her blonde head. And the woman on the right had a very reserved face and long ebony hair that floated around her head. They were all painstakingly beautiful.
The guard led is down a long corridor until we reached a set of wooden double doors. The guard opened them to reveal a huge throne room with mirror panels on each side. At the end of the room perched a golden throne set with blue stones. And sitting on it was one of the most beautiful woman I'd ever seen. Her blonde hair was done in curls that framed her face, and a crown rose up from her head. I snuck a glance back at the mural. She looked exactly like the center mermaid. But that was impossible. The mural looked centuries old. But as I was quickly learning, nothing seemed to be impossible in Open Waters.
     Rowan and Taron bowed before the Queen, and after discovering that it was rather difficult to curtesy with a tail, I followed suit.
     The guard that had escorted is in took a place next to the throne. "Rise before Queen Melusine. "
     We slowly got up, none of us braving making eye contact with the Queen.
     In a melodic voice, the Queen began to speak. "Officer Taron, you sent word to me yesterday afternoon that you had made a startling discovery."
     "Yes, your majesty."
     "And may I ask what this discovery might be?"
     Oh. Rowan had told me that the Queen was interested in my abilities, and yet she didn't seem to know of them at all. Part of me felt a little hurt that he'd lied to me.
"Yes, my Queen,", Taron said respectively, and he ordered Rowan and I forwards. "You see, I was out patrolling the border between Open Waters and Human Territory when I came across this girl," he tore me from Rowan's grasp, "At first I thought that she was a runaway, but she informed me otherwise. She said she lived amongst humans, that she could even turn into one."
The Queen was silent. "Is this true?"
"Yes, your-"
"I wasn't asking you, Officer." She turned to me.
Shocked, I replied, "Yes, your majesty."
Queen Melusine waved Taron away. There was something in her eyes that unsettled me. "Leave. I wish to speak with this girl alone."
The look of surprise on Taron's face was priceless. He nodded, and began to exit, Rowan trailing at his feet. But the second the door closed, a feeling of dread filled me. The Queen wanted me alone. That couldn't be good.
     Still perched on her throne, the Queen looked down at me. "How long have you been able to turn into a mermaid and back again?"
      I fumbled for words. "Since I was ten, my Queen."
     Melusine nodded. "And how old are you now?"
     "Sixteen."
     "Ah. Still young, I see. Where do you hail from?"
     "M-Maine."
     Queen Melusine chuckled. "You don't have to be afraid. I am not going to hurt you." Her smile faded. "But it seemed that my officers had different ideas."
     I felt her eyes on my cheek, where my bruise was still tender.
     "Excuse me for asking, but when I was captured, I was tested to see if I was a siren. What exactly..."
     Melusine's face turned hard. I immediately regretted asking her, as I'd obviously struck a nerve. But after a brief silence, she answered.
     "A siren is a mermaid that uses dark magic to lure unsuspecting sailors to their graves. My kingdom has been having a bit of a siren problem this last decade, but," her face took on an expression of false happiness, " Its nothing that you have to worry about, dear."
     "Oh. One more thing, your majesty? I have a foster mother on land who's probably wondering where I am."
     "You wish to go back to the surface."
     "Yes."
     The Queen lowered her eyes. " I'm sorry, my dear, but you can't go back"
     And with those words, my world shattered.