Chapter Seven: Lord Rancover's Threats

The next day, the palace was in an eerily silent state, with clumps of people huddled together exchanging whispers of the attack. Suddenly, the Queen's decision to allow me to stay in the palace was old news, replaced by talk of sirens creeping closer to Cocelia. Even the usually silent servants were speaking of the event in a frightened tone, their heads ducked low in an attempt to conceal their conversations. The palace that had seemed so full of life yesterday had fallen into a cold, dead state that didn't suit it.
     I spotted Ash in a hallway a few floors above my apartments. "Ash." I hissed, calling her over to me. She looked up, saw me, and swam over.
     "What?"
     I hesitated and scanned the premise for eavesdroppers. "Do you know anything about what happened with the siren attack?"
     Ash pursed her lips and leaned in closer. "I don't know much, but a human vessel went missing the night of the attack. I think that's what the sirens were after."
     I was confused. "What? Why would they want that?"
     "I don't know, but being a siren is a sort of addiction. They might have done out of necessity."
     This was a serious problem, one that demanded more research. If the sirens had such an interest in me, as Melusine had told me, I would need to know what I was up against.
     "Is there somewhere I could find a library?" I asked.
     Ash nodded. "Second floor, on the right."
She then hustled off to finish the errand she was running.
     I began to make my way down through the water, my silver fins propelling me forward. On the way, I passed several well dressed men and women, all of whom gave me strange looks. Apparently, word of my arrival had not spread quickly.
     I looked around, confused. Sophia and I hadn't gotten the chance to finish the tour of the palace yesterday, so the many corridors and passages of the castle still felt like a maze to me. I turned to the group of wealthy Merpeople I'd passed to see if they knew how to get to the library from where I was.
     I swam up to them and smiled. "Excuse me, I was just wondering where the library might be. My name is-"
      "We know who you are, girl" one of the men said coldly. His dark brown eyes were narrowed in disgust.
     My smile faded. This man obviously did not want to be bothered.
     "Sorry if I interrupted your day, I'll just go find someone else-"
      The man grabbed my arm. Panic shot through me as I tried to wiggle free.
     "Oh, no. You need to hear this." He yanked me closer to him. The crowd of people around him snickered in delight. "That little trick you can do that turns you into a human? We've seen that before."
     I couldn't tell if he was lying or not. "Oh, really?"
     "Really. And you know who that little witch was?"
     I shook my head, my heart beating so loud I was confident he could hear it.
     He leaned in close to my ear and whispered, "Iara. Most evil siren of the century. The one who caused all this siren crap we have to deal with all of the time.
     Iara. Melusine's sister. She could turn human, too?
     A honey-sweet, yet demanding voice called out from behind me. "Lord Rancover, release Lady Britta at once."
     Rancover spun around with me still clutched in his arms to find Sophia floating in front of him. His wicked pride disintegrated at the sight of her, bringing a mischievous smile to my face.
     Rancover's massive hand opened, letting me free. I quickly brushed myself off and swam towards Sophia.
     Rancover faked a grin as he inched forwards in Sophia's direction. "Ah, Princess. This is all a big misunderstanding."
     Sophia didn't buy it. "Lord Rancover, it is unacceptable to use your power to abuse a Lady."
     Rancover's face contorted into a sneer. "The Queen named this shape shifting freak a Lady?"
     "How dare you! Not only have you insulted Lady Britta, but you've also challenged the Queen's authority! Leave now, and never speak to Britta again."
     Rancover and his posse slipped away, murmuring protests.
     Sophia heaved a sigh. "Are you all right?"
     "Yeah. Thanks for that."
     "What did you do to them to make them so angry?"
     I snorted. "I asked them where the library was."
     Sophia shook her head. "Some people in Cocelia have strong beliefs that humans are inferior to Merpeople. That's why the siren issue is so controversial. Many people think it's for the greater good."
"Oh. Well, the reason Rancover was so mad was because of my abilities. He compared me to Iara."
Sophia gasped. "He did not! He should know better than to speak that monster's name in these walls!" Noticing my hurt expression, her tone softened. "Don't worry, Britta. You may have the same powers, but you are nothing like her."
I nodded and quickly changed the topic. "So, where is the library anyway? I've been asking all morning, and nobody's told me!"
Sophia chuckled. "One floor up from here. You should see some massive oak doors, they're impossible to miss." She paused. "What are you going to read?"
I shrugged. "I was hoping to learn a little more about sirens. Everybody else seems to know way more than I do, and it could be useful."
Sophia's face turned to worry. "Your right. That is a good plan, but after Rancover did what he did... I'm not sure wandering alone is the best idea."
I was about to say that I wouldn't be alone, but Sophia began talking again before I could say it.
"And I can't come, I have to go to a meeting in the throne room. Maybe we can go some other time when my schedule is not so tight." She smiled weakly and swam off.
Once she was gone, I repeated her directions in my head. Up one floor from here. You should see massive oak doors... I began to make my way up to the second floor.
My conscious nagged at me, telling me that I was disobeying a royal for a few dusty books. But technically, she didn't give me any orders, just suggestions. A stupid loophole, but a loophole none the less.
I reached the oak doors in no time and knocked on the door. When nobody came to answer, I swung the door open myself. What awaited me made my jaw drop.