Chapter 6: "So this is the day we have spoken of?"

After a few moments in silence, the speeder, under Jish's able guidance, came to a halt in an area of the camp inhabited by a large race of aliens that Pina couldn't name. The adults towered over him, and communicated in a series of growls and hostile snarls that he doubted even the protocol droid would understand. All of them were coated in matted hair of varying colours. Some were black, but the majority were brown, and all of them, he sensed, detested him and had the strength in their arms to tear his head from his body.

For the first time since entering the camp, he felt afraid.

"What are these . . . things?" he whispered to Jish.

"These 'things' are wookies," she replied. "They are a noble people, Captain. Do not offend them, even in this place. And whilst they are honourable and once made a friend will forever remain so, they are proud. If you provoke them, even my protection might not be enough to save you."

"Of course," Pina said, feeling suddenly stupid. "This is the first time I have encountered them close up. From Kashaak aren't they?"

"Kashyyyk," Jish corrected. "In the mid rim."

She left the speeder, the protocol droid following, and made her way to the leader of the group who waited outside a large tent decorated with forest patterns. Pina felt sad at the sight of it, for the camp had no living trees or plants of its own. It was all dusty and barren, a labyrinth of alleys and walkways and disorder, over which hung an atmosphere of despair where lives were measured in misery.

He felt powerless. Even with the Reaver in low orbit with its immense batteries of turbo lasers and squadrons of TIE Fighters at his call. Its presence might meant nothing to people who had nothing themselves. 

A people so low could not be intimidated.

The thought of Admiral Karion's war gaming seemed preposterous in such an environment. Pina felt it demeaned the Empire. Are we really so afraid of these refugees that we have to try and intimidate them? It was a thought that he found no encouragement in.

Jish returned to the speeder.

"He has agreed to meet with you," she said.

"Who has?"

"A wookie elder." Her eyes hardened. "Our rebel leader."

"That didn't take long," he noted. "One would almost suspect you knew of his existence before we even entered the camp."

Jish nodded. "To keep the stability in the camp we do have to tolerate those whose attitudes we cannot agree with."

"I see." He left the speeder and straightened his jacket. "'Cannot' agree with, rather than 'won't' agree with, is an interesting figure of speech."

"Make of it what you will, Captain. But I don't think we'll have long. Admiral Karion is not a patient man, I feel. This way."

Pina followed Jish through the gathering of wookies and into the structure. He felt their hatred upon him, and his back expected the feel of a tearing wookie claw at any moment.

But none came.

Inside, they passed a number of wookie mothers and their broods of offspring. Some were so exhausted they clung upon their mothers back and slept, or gazed through listless eyes, tired of the universe before their childhoods were even half over.

"Wookies are a strong species," Jish informed him. "That means they need lots of protein for their muscles. A study last month found the adults are only getting a third of their recommended calorie intake. They starve so that the children might live. Although this month it seems even they go hungry."

Star Wars: Heir to the Sith (Part 1) (#Wattys2018 shortlist)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें