NINE - Anxiety

H O R A C E   S U M N U S O N

"Children! Children?" I heard Miss Peregrine checking on room to room in a rush. "Children, get up - it's emergency!"

I never saw Miss Peregrine in such a rush. Her hair was in a bun as always, but the bun on her head wasn't neat as usual. She wasn't wearing her clothes properly, too, she was just wearing a shower gown. It was clear that she was going to take a shower just now.

I rubbed my eyes, waking up from another nightmare I had. This dream wasn't so gloomy, but it was very nervous. Then I remembered pieces of the dream - Millard and an unfamiliar girl together in a grey room, Hugh with Fiona, another unfamiliar woman with part-white pupils. It wasn't clearly a nightmare, it was just a bad-feeling dream, so I decided not to mind about it.

I was sleeping on the ground since it was Hugh's turn to sleep on the bed. I looked at the bed to say 'Good morning,' to Hugh as usual, but he wasn't there. His bed was neat - which wasn't a usual thing. Feeling anxious all of a sudden, I fumbled on the bed. The bed was empty and cold.

Then Miss Peregrine rushed into our room.

"Mister Sumnuson, Mister Apiston!" She said.

"Uh... Good morning, Miss Peregrine. What's wrong?" I asked, knowing that something was happening.

"No, no, no. This isn't a good morning, Mister Sumnuson! Where's Mister Apiston?" Asked Miss Peregrine.

"I was just wondering about it." I replied.

"Oh my, Mister Sumnuson." Said Miss Peregrine, leaning on the door. "Mister Portman, Miss Bloom, Miss Bruntley, Mister Apiston, Mister O'Connor and Miss McCarshy is gone." She said.

I covered my face with my palms, and groaned. "What are they up to?"

"We've got to tell this to the Council of Ymbrines." Said Miss Peregrine.

"So? What are they supposed to do? No one knows where they went and no one knows what happened to -"

"Mister Sumnuson, did you have any dreams?" Asked Miss Peregrine.

"It wasn't a bad dream - Millard was with an unfamiliar girl, but they looked close, and they were in a grey room. Hugh was with Fiona, and there was a woman with part-white pupils." I said.

Miss Peregrine nodded slowly. "Okay. Let's talk about this a moment later."

As she left, Olive and Claire peeked on the door.

"Are our friends going to die?" Asked Olive sadly.

"No, they aren't going to die. Who told you that?" I said.

"No one told us. We just know. We're old enough to understand that something terrible is happening." Said Claire.

I couldn't deny it, but since my dream wasn't so gloomy I knew that my friends were going to success whatever they wanted to do.

"They're going to be alright." I said, rubbing Claire's arm. Claire hugged me tight with tears rolling down her cheek.

"Why is it us who always does something heroic? Why is it us who always has to go over hard and dangerous things for rest of the Peculiardom?" She whispered.