Chapter 6

Warning: I know nothing about ouija boards and this chapter is kinda horror so I'm not even sure I just thought it would be fun *shrug*

"Ouch." Jaxon loudly slurps his Coke, which I find a little annoying.

I sigh, staring down at my fries. "I know! I'm beginning to think this isn't worth it. He clearly doesn't like me."

Hey, he's very convincing. I just had to tell him about Kaden. Jaxon has been completely understanding this whole time.

"Darling," He put his hand over mine for a split second before going to eat his burger again. "Love is always worth it."

I scoff, eyeing him as he inhales the entire thing. "Were you a poet in a past life?"

"No. What I'm suggesting is that you make him jealous."

"That'll work?"

He shrugs. "Happens in all the books."

I stare out the window. The world seems gloomy, with clouds masking over the sun and the ground still wet from snow.

I just wish things could be different. He's my best friend and I love him to death, but it's not a friend way. It should be.

"My house is haunted."

A small, unexpected chuckle escapes from my lips. His eyes seem to light up and his posture seems to relax. As if knowing I'm emotionally stable is reassuring. "Why do you think that?" I ask.

"It's always so chilly in my workout room. And I feel... a weight. It's as if the air is thicker. I sometimes hear noises, like singing."

I raise an eyebrow. "Liar."

"I'm serious! One time, I heard my sister call my name." He states matter-of-factly.

"And how does that mean your house is haunted?"

Jaxon gives me a sad smile. "My sister died two years ago."

I keep eye contact with those once beautiful eyes that are now less bright. "I know you don't want me to say I'm sorry, so I'll say that I'm here if you ever want to talk."

"Is that why you want to see if it's haunted? You... want to talk to your sister?"

He simply nods, finding his fries more interesting. I feel my heart clench so I instantly put my hand over his, just like I do when Kaden is upset.

"Then yeah. I just need to get a few things and we can head over. This should be... fun." I say.

A smile lights Jaxon's face up again. When we stand up, he pulls me into a tight hug. I relax into his chest, sighing at the smell of cologne and the warmth there is.

The first thing I think of is the familiar smell of peppermint. And the smooth, slightly wavy dirty blonde hair. And those striking eyes that make me want to stay forever.

I awkwardly pull away now that the simple gesture has taken a turn. My heart aches with longing for his laughter or even his smile.

"I'm paying." Jaxon chirps like nothing happened then practically skips over to the ice cream section.

I sigh, following him while dragging my feet. It's sad how I always think of Kaden. How he just consumes my mind. After we get our ice cream, we get into his car and head to my house.

"He doesn't love me so I tell myself!" Jaxon screeches along. "I tell myself! One, don't pick up the phone!"

"You know he's only calling 'cause he's drunk and alone!"