Chapter 2

The smell of grilled meat hits me instantly, and the concession stand comes into view. Children stand on their tip-toes to buy some candy for the game. After exchanging five dollars for three candy bars, they run off.

"It's so fludging cold."

I smile, turning to Sarah. Her eyes are a dark blue, meaning she's not too happy to be here. But she's here because she's a loyal friend and I asked her to come. "Thanks for coming. Really. It means a lot."

"Well," Sarah starts, fixing the black beanie that rests atop her head of pink hair. "One of the cons of having a close friend. You always have to be there for them."

We search for a spot to sit in the crowded bleachers. Impatient people complain about how long it's taking as we walk by. Sarah unfolds the wool blanket then sits down. "There they are." I tell her, pointing at the football players.

They jog onto the field, followed by the cheerleaders. Cheers erupt from the stands, along with signs being held up, and bottles filled with pennies being shaken.

  Kaden is the first one I see, sandy blonde hair rustled. His brown eyes scan the crowd before landing on... me. Kaden smiles widely, then waves a hand my way.

  I'm about to put my hand up, but Beth waves first. I didn't even notice she was in front of me.

  Great. So he was waving at her. I hate when that happens.

  When they game starts, I pay no attention. "I'm gonna go get food." I simply say.

I stuff my hands into my pockets, feeling them growing clammy. The line is shorter now that the game has begun.

"May I have two popcorns please? And one pretzel? With cheese. And a snickers bar? King-sized. And two cokes? Thanks." I breathe out, handing her the money. What? I stress eat.

Sarah eyes the buffet I'm holding in my arms. I carefully slip past the people on the bleachers to reach our seats, struggling with holding everything. "Good god, woman." Sarah says, taking her popcorn and soda. "Got enough?"

"No." I mumble while shoving the warm, buttery popcorn in my mouth. The game suddenly seems interesting yet I don't understand any of it.

Our school rival, Watson Devils, is winning. Hopefully it's not long before we start to flip the table.

I just keep my eyes trained on Kaden's number, whilst munching on the snickers bar. I remember when I went with him while his team got to pick their football numbers.

"Which number should I get?" He asked, watching as Thomas chose his jersey.

I smiled. "It should represent something important to you."

Kaden grinned back at me, causing my stomach to flip. A mischievous glint was in his eyes. The coach called his name, and he walked up with confident strides.

When he headed back towards me, Kaden kept the jersey behind his back. "Ta-da!" He said proudly, showing the jersey number.

"One? Why one?"

Kaden sat down next to me, then threw an arm around my shoulders. "'Cause that's when my best friend was born."

That's true, I thought to myself. April 1, 2001. So it's important to him?

I sigh, sipping my soda loudly. Sarah slaps my arm, annoyed. "Pig." She says.

"Cow."

"Moose."