CHAPTER 10: The REAL Reason.....

~STONE~

I took a swig from my beer real quick before beginning.

"I had just become the President of the club after taking over for our dad who had died a year before. I was eighteen and she was sixteen years old. One night, Trey and I had some business we needed to take care of and at the time, I had a few of my guys watch her until we got back. We had been gone for almost two hours before we headed back to the house. When we got there, we noticed that the front door was busted up from someone trying to break in. And the first thing Trey and I saw when we walked in was a couple of our men and a couple of other men that were dead laid out on the living room floor and then I saw my sister." I stop for a moment to stop myself from losing it. "She was laying there by the kitchen, with her clothes torn up and beaten. After taking her to the hospital, and being told she was sexually assaulted by several guys, I asked if she remembered who it was and she told me their names. And I knew who they were. They were a new biker club in town. She didn't want me to do anything that was illegal or get me thrown in jail since I was all she had left. So we contacted the authorities, went to court and they got off. Then they stalked her, threatened her, until one day she..." I stop myself again to clear my throat. "She killed herself."

It's quiet for a moment as she see's me trying to collect myself again and drink the rest of my beer.

"I'm so sorry about your sister." She tells me.

"It's fine. I took care of it." I tell her.

She then leans forward a little bit and places her hand gently over mine. "Still." She says.

I look down at her hand on mine and I start gently rubbing the top of her hand with my thumb.

"I told you that, Eve, so that you would understand that it doesn't make you stupid or weak or any of that, if you don't report it. Despite what Trey said. Cause the justice system is so corrupt and greedy that you have more of a chance at losing than winning with things like that." I tell her as I look into her eyes.

She looks at me and starts to smile slowly.

I wanted to kiss her but I wasn't sure if that would be appropriate or not. Besides, I didn't want her to think she was just some girl. So instead, I just suggested we go home.

After getting home and heading to her bedroom, I stopped her before she went into her room.

"Wait." I tell her.

She turns and looks at me. "Yeah?"

"I don't want you working at the coffee shop. I don't want you working anywhere." I tell her.

"But I need money and I can Uber to and from or catch a ride with Chris. I'll be okay." She tries to assure me.

"I understand that. But I really need for you to understand how important your safety is." I tell her.

"Important to who?" She asks me.

"To Chris." I quickly reply in what clearly is a lie. Though I know he cares about her too. And right as soon as I say that, I can tell she was disappointed.

"Well, I appreciate your concern but, I'm still gonna go to work. I'll be fine and besides, Chris can always drive me home." She says.

"Don't be stubborn. This is serious and you need to be protected, no offense, but more than what Chris is capable of doing in order to protect you." I tell her while trying to hold back my frustration.

"How about this, I will stop working and stay here under your protection until this shit is taken care of if you can admit to me the real reason why you don't want me to work." She says as she smirks.

She then turns, "That's what I thought." She says before walking into her room and says goodnight before then closing the door.

Why does she have to be so difficult? Why do women need to hear men tell them sweet things including how they feel and confessing things such as this. I mean I know I haven't given clear signs that I like her cause I'm not even sure what this feeling is that I have for her yet. But I do know that I like being around her and I especially love the new confidence she has.

I won't lie. A part of me wants her to not work because I do feel like I owe my sister to prevent the same thing from happening to another girl. Then there is the bigger part of me. The part I know she wants to hear me tell her.

It does get me frustrated however, that since her new found confidence and everything, she has also become stubborn.

I'm not someone that does this romantic stuff. I don't know how relationships work. I know that she deserves a great guy and normally I'm, for the most part, confident. However, in this case, I feel it's a little different. Different meaning that I'm not sure I can necessarily give her what she wants and deserves because I know she has been through hell throughout her life up to now and I'm just afraid that being with me will make it worse.

I don't know. Maybe I should, you know, take a chance?!

Next chapter will be posted soon! :)