THIRTY FIVE

I rushed out of the gym desperate to regain my own state of mind. It didn't help that Mason was now missing. I had only gotten as far as the hallway when the gymnasium doors creaked open behind me.

Chase stood in front of them.

"Why did you run away?" He asked. I didn't know how to answer him so I shrugged my shoulders. He took his crown off, dropping his hands to his sides.

"I need to find Mason," I said, turning away.

"Would  you just wait a second?" He stepped closer to me. "Kaya, I don't want to do this anymore. I can't stand it."

I wrapped my arms around myself.

"Me neither. But, right now I have to go. And you should go back to your date."

His face fell as he gave me a solemn nod. Like I had solidified the state of our faltering friendship.

I pictured a different ending to this scene. One where I would have given him a hug and told him that I felt the exact same way. That I didn't wanna fight with him anymore or walk through the halls acting as if he didn't exist. But right now just wasn't the time.

"I'll see you," I said, turning down the hall.

Once I was outside I felt the sides of myself, remembering that I left my clutch in the car. I couldn't even call him to see where he was.

The music inside reverberated through the wall that I leaned against. Catching my breath, I started for the parking lot. Knowing Mason, he left the doors unlocked.

It didn't take long to find the car, since he had parked in the first row. The door came open as I tugged on the latch just as I assumed it would.

I reached into the glove compartment, hooking the strap around my hand. But, when I tugged it out, a pill casket rolled out.

The lid popped off, spilling a dozen orange pills over the carpeted floor.

I reached down to collect them, popping them back into the case as quickly as I could. This was his mom's heart medication!

I'd gathered nearly all of them when I read the label on the front.

Mason Riley.

The car door flew open, and a firm grip wrapped around my arm, pulling me out of the seat.

"What the hell are you doing?" He shouted.

The pills flew into the air before colliding against the blacktop, scattering in every direction. Mason's firm grip tightened around my wrist, so hard I cried out. I tried to squirm away from him.

"Stop it! Mason what's wrong with you!"

The stench of cheap alcohol overpowered his cologne.  He backed me in against the car, keeping a steady hold on my arm.

This wasn't happening.

"What's wrong width you?" He accused, words slurring. "Going through my shit!"

"Mason you're drunk," I tried to reason.

"Get in the car!" his voice echoed into the night. I didn't move.