TWENTY SIX

It wasn't long before the trips became routine.

When school let out, Aly would drive me into Mason's neighborhood each afternoon without raising one question. I didn't open my mouth to explain and she never pressed me for answers. Tuesday's I helped with laundry, dishes on Wednesday's. On Thursday's, we took walks through the neighborhood.

We took our time, only circling the block the first day. It would be awhile before she built up enough stamina for anything more.

When the sun became a half circle on the horizon, my time there was over. I looked out for Aly's Volkswagen, hoping to spot it before a red Camry appeared in the driveway.

Except on Friday, I didn't.

I was on the way out of his house, closing the screen door behind me when I nearly crashed into him.

"Kaya."

His hands reached out to steady me, and I landed right in his arms. I didn't look him in the face, but I didn't pull away either.

"Mason," I said.

"What are you doing here?" I noticed that he hadn't let go.

"I was just...I came to see your mom." I had to tell him the entire truth. He'd caught me in his own home. "I've been seeing her for a while actually. To help, because of her heart condition."

He searched my face, trying to find a hidden answer it seemed. But I wasn't here for him, and it took him a moment to realize.

"Oh," he dropped his hands. "Thanks."

"You don't have to thank me. I figured she might be lonely with you gone after school, and she can't move around like she used to."

I stared over his shoulder at the empty road.

"Why didn't you tell me?"

"I didn't see a reason to. We don't talk, Mason."

I looked back to him then, to see that his eyes were glazed over, settled directly on me. It was in this moment that I realized I couldn't move. His gaze held me, trapped on this front porch.

"I should go-"

I had barely stepped forward when his hand reached out. The air trapped in my lungs retreated as he raised his palm, and pressed it against my face.

"I miss you," he said with a gentle caress. I struggled against myself as my eyelids fought to flutter closed.

A bird squawked nearby. I followed the sound to find the creature landing on the twisted branch of a tree which sat in the front yard.

This isn't right.

My left shoulder burned, feeling as though the ink of my tattoo were melting into my skin.

"Please don't fight me Kaya. You don't understand how hard it's been for me to leave you alone," his other hand reached for mine.

I jumped away from him, but I was too slow. My body caved inwards, on its own.

The bird cried out, a desperate frightened sound. Perched on the branch, it's black beaded eyes pleaded  with me.

Fly away. Flee.

It watched me with a gaze unfaltering.

"Mason I can't."

My words fell to a whisper as tears gathered in the corners of my eyes.