CHAPTER 19: Sick And Tired

Start from the beginning

Kevin ignored Duke.

All of a sudden, Duke banged the table and shouted at the kid, "Look at me when I'm talking, Goddammit!"

Kevin flinched and turned his head towards Duke. His bagel slipped his hands and fell to the floor. He stared at Duke, paralyzed by fear from his sudden rage.

Duke leered at him, "I wasn't asking you to go to sleep." Then he went around the table and continued talking, "That was an order." He snatched a knife, walked closer to Kevin and said, "Here's how thing's gonna go around here, Kevin."

Duke towered over him, pointing the sharpened knife under his chin while Kevin pressed his back against the wall. Duke continued in a threatening manner, "If you don't sleep, I will make you sleep."

Kevin's heart started pounding so fast and so hard that he could hear its beats.

"If you don't eat, I will force the food down your throat. And don't give me that crap about not being hungry or sleepy," Duke continued his threat. Then he whispered in his ear, "Got it?" before he gave him a mad look.

Kevin stared fearfully into Duke's crazy eyes. He spoke with a low, trembling voice, "Yes."

Duke turned his ear to Kevin and said, "What was that, now?"

Kevin felt like his lungs suddenly squeezed harder and painfully inside his chest. It made it difficult for him to breathe. He forced himself to raise his voice a little to be heard, "OK... I'll sleep... and I'll eat."

At that threatening moment, Kevin couldn't control the shakiness of his terrified, small body and the mild sweatiness of his face.

Duke stepped away and removed the knife from Kevin's throat. Kevin slid his back down the wall and took a couple of shaky deep breaths before he gulped.

What the hell just happened? Kevin asked himself.

Duke looked as if he was regretting his actions. He put his hands on his waist, lowered his head then sighed, "Kevin. I'm doing this for your own good. You know I only want you to get better, right?"

Kevin shook his head intensively and replied, "Yeah, I know."

He wanted to finish his sentence and tell him, Yeah, I know. You want me to get better so you can start torturing me again, you psycho. But he knew better than to say it out loud when Duke was in his crazy state. He just wanted that guy to stay calm or else an unpredictable thing would happen.

Duke lifted his head and said, "Good. Now let's getchya to bed."

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Duke cuffed Kevin to the bed. Kevin laid down and covered himself with the sheets. Duke stood by the door, put his biker jacket on and said, "I'll be back in 2 hours or so." Then he turned off the monitor and left.