Chapter 25

I snapped my head away from Xander and glared at him as his hand fell back down on the bed.

"Why are you here?" I asked in return.

He breathed out slowly, not breaking eye contact with me. "Car accident," he said, simply. "But again, what about you?"

"What happened, Xander?" I asked. "I thought something was up when you didn't show up to class and wouldn't answer my text."

"Sounds like you were worried about me then," he said, a small smirk appearing on his lips.

"Everyone was," I told him, glaring. "But now that I'm here, are you going to tell me what happened?"

He brought his arm up to his forehead, rubbing it with his hand as if he was frustrated.

"Quit talking," he sighed. "I have a headache."

"Did you hit your head?" I asked, instinctively leaning closer to the bed to look at him.

"Probably," he said.

"Probably?" I repeated after him.

"I don't remember, Jasper," he replied. "Jeez."

"Sorry," I mumbled, turning my gaze to the ground as Xander leaned further back in bed and closed his eyes. I glanced back up at him and thought to myself, "Well, jeez. Had I known he'd be sleeping the whole time, I wouldn't have bothered coming here."

But then my mind said something to me that I would have rather not heard.

You came because you were worried.

I sighed before pushing back the chair I sat in to stand as it creaked against the floor, figuring Xander seemed to be okay.

Without opening his eyes, Xander's deep voice sounded as I stood. "Where are you going?"

I was slightly startled at the sound of his voice as I replied, "You're sleeping."

"And?" he questioned, slowly reopening his eyes as he placed his hands behind his head.

"I'm not going to sit here and watch you sleep. That's weird," I replied, rolling my eyes.

"Just stay," he said, shortly, causing me to raise my eyebrow at him.

"Okay..." I said, slowly. I pulled back the chair I previously sat in and lowered myself on it, watching Xander as he tried to push himself up on his bed, causing his face to crunch in pain.

My hand shot out to grab his arm as I slowly pulled him up into the position he was trying to get himself in.

"You're hurt," I said, releasing him.

"No shit," he said. "All I know is my car was hit from the side. I probably have some broken ribs," he breathed.

"Shit," I said. "That's gonna hurt like hell."

"That's why you're going to help me with whatever I need," he replied, a small smile growing on his lips.

"Me? What could I possibly do for you?" I asked as I resisted to tell him that he was being ridiculous.