Chapter 24

I looked down at my phone, impatiently waiting for a response from Xander. I was anxious to get over to Hayden's after all.

Twenty minutes passed, and I found it odd. Normally, Xander was pretty quick to respond and return calls, or so I thought, with the minimal times we had actually exchanged messages or calls for that matter.

I let a few minutes pass, coming up with hypotheticals as to why he wasn't responding. And finally, my phone buzzed and I quickly swiped to open the message.

Hayden: where are u?

It was Hayden. I replied back.

Me: Supposed to get a ride from Xander.

It took him a few minutes to respond.

Hayden: u haven't heard?

Me: Heard what?

Hayden was slow to respond so I breathed out and sat on my bed. I'd never make it to his house at this rate.

     Hayden: he's in the hospital

I accidentally dropped my phone in shock and scrambled to pick it up off of my bed.

     Me: What happened?

     Hayden: car accident

My heart stopped. That's why Xander wasn't in class today and hasn't responded to my text message. Shit.

And no matter how much I told myself otherwise, I was worried about him.

     Hayden: i'll come pick u up

Wasn't he worried about Xander, too?

     Me: Is he ok?

     Hayden: yeah we've already stopped by the hospital

Good, so he's okay. But, they went without me.

     Me: On second thought, Drey's gotta help me study for my exam in a few days.

What the hell was I doing?

     Hayden: is that so? i guess i'll see u tomorrow then

"Fuck," I groaned and roughly dropped my phone onto my bed, covering my face with my hands. Drey turned around and eyed me, but didn't ask any questions.

"What time do the buses run until?" I asked.

"The buses? Is Xander not around to pick you up?" Drey asked.

I figured I wouldn't tell Drey about the accident for selfish reasons. I didn't want him to joke with me about the fact I was trying to go see Xander.

"He's not responding," I answered. I mean, it was partly the truth. "I don't want to bother Hayden, either."

"I see," Drey said while tapping his chin with his pencil and looking up at the ceiling. "I'm pretty sure the buses run damn late. You'll probably be able to catch the last one but I'm not sure how you're-"