Chapter 15

"Don't even tell me," I started. "Another self-proclaimed god of love?"

Drey slowly turned around in his chair, eyeing me.

"God of love?" Xander said and instantly started laughing. "What kind of useless crap is Drey spewing nowadays?"

"How'd you know it was him?" I asked, smiling as I looked back at Drey.

"I couldn't imagine it coming from anyone else's mouth," Xander replied.

"The guy thinks he's Cupid," I told Xander. "Just for giving me a minute alone with Hayden."

"I could do so much better than that," Xander said.

"Why? Why do you even want to help me with this sort of thing?" I asked.

"Well, wouldn't it make life a little more enjoyable if things were to work out between the two of you?" he asked. "Surely, it'd ease some of the pain you're feeling."

"I still don't understand why you're willing to help me," I said.

"Maybe it's because I wish there was someone there for me when I was having a hard time accepting that my parents abandoned me," he answered.

"But I don't need your help," I said. "I don't want to ruin my current relationship with Hayden."

"I understand that," Xander said. "But you never know, even if Hayden has never given a second thought about seeing you in that way, the moment you tell him your true feelings, he's bound to keep thinking about you."

I hadn't thought about it that way before. But if Xander was right, then it seemed like I had nothing to lose.

"You sound like you're experienced in relationships," I said.

Xander was quiet for a moment. "I've had a few."

"And?" I asked.

"Are you interested to know about them?" Xander asked and I knew he was smirking on the other end without even having to see his face.

"I need to see just how skillful you are in relationships if you're going to help me with mine," I said.

"Well," he started. "They were never anything too serious. Just someone to play around with for a little while until one of us ended it. My last relationship was different, however."

"How so?" I asked.

"I really loved her," he said.

"So you didn't love the other ones?" I asked.

"It wasn't the same love that I felt with her," he replied.

"What happened? Why did it end?" I asked.

"Aaand that's enough for now," Xander said, refusing to answer my questions. "But I'm surprised you're willing to have me as your tutor and your relationship coach."

"Relationship coach?" I asked. "That sounds disgusting."

Xander snickered on the other end. "So what's it gonna be? Do you want my assistance or not?"