[Chapter 23: Empty Hearts]

"I'm not acting mean, or distant, Laila," Inya replied, frustrated at my constant pestering.

I decided to have a chat with Inya. She was busy deciphering scrolls on the upper deck. Axel had went down to the lower deck to do, god knows what. I asked Inya about Werdi and told her what I found out so far.

"He's worried about you. Cut him some slack!" I said. Inya looked at me, puzzled at my choice of words.

"Cut him...?" she questioned.

I rolled my eyes,"What I meant was, give him a break. Talk to him, like you were his best friend and not some stranger. I think he deserves it. He helped you so much. And you're the kindest person I know. Why act so cold towards him?" I said.

"I'm not!" she retorted.

"You are!" I snapped back.

"Laila, please. I do not want to talk about it. It is none of your concern. You have bigger things to worry about. Please forget about my petty problems!" she lashed out. I had never seen Inya angry before. It not only surprised me, but it made me realise,  she was bottling it up the whole time.

I softened my gaze,"Inya... I only want to help. You've helped me so much. Not just by finding a way for me to return to my own time, but even to settle my emotions. I want to do the same..." I said, trailing off.

Inya let out a sigh,"You do not owe me anything. Please... Just leave me alone for a while," she said, then she turned back to the scrolls.

I huffed in surrender,"Where did you get those scrolls from anyway?" I asked. The last time I checked, we had left most of our belongings on the ship.

"From Werdi's study. Axel is there right now," Inya said dismissively, clearly wanting me to leave. So, I did.

I stomped down to the lower deck and entered the study. The study was slightly larger than the engine room. It had a wooden desk, crates filled with scrolls, and drawing boards here and there. Inya was right, Axel was there. He was looking through one of the scrolls, his brows scrunched up, deep in thought.

"Do you even understand it?" I asked.

Axel looked up from the scroll, a small frown graced his features.

"I'm learning the language..." he said. I smiled at his efforts. I came over and sat next to him.

"But lucky for me. This guy's an engineer. It's mostly math," he said.

"How can you understand the language anyway?" he asked.

I shrugged as I recalled the time the Akashic strings wrapped around me and allowed me to understand this language of the past.

"Maybe I could get the Akashic to help you understand it as well," I suggested.

"Maybe you could. I honestly don't know how this Akashic thing works..." he said.

I faced him and closed my eyes, entering the Akashic realm. It had been a while since I had last visited the Akashic, but in this timeline, it was effortless. I focused hard on what I wanted and the blue strings appeared in my hands. The Akashic flow was so seamless, I did not even break a sweat.

I took Axel's hand in mine, then weaved the string around him. I felt Axel stiffen in my grasp. Then later he relaxed.

I did not leave the Akashic just yet. I floated in it. Axel's mind was a reach away. I tried to penetrate it. However it was hard. It was as if he had a mental barrier so thick, it would take too much effort to break through it.

I tried pushing further, I gripped his hands harder. But it was virtually impossible. I gasped as I left the Akashic and felt Axel's warm breath on mine.

He was inches apart from me. His green eyes bore into mine, capturing me in a magnetic pull I so desperately tried to avoid.

"What were you trying to do?" he whispered.

"Why are you so difficult to understand? Won't you let anyone in?" I questioned back.

He lowered his gaze,"I... Can't say. I'm not sure myself," he said. His eyes trailed down my face and lingered on my lips.

I wanted to kiss him. I knew that. But that was my body speaking, my mind refused to listen. Our breaths mingled, as the space between us got smaller and smaller.

"No... Axel. I can't," I said, stopping him in place.

"I can't do this... Not right now. I just...," I did not know what to say. My mind was a mess. I was not rationalising.

Axel's eyes betrayed his pain,"I can't resist you, Laila," he said. His words were the exact feelings I was experiencing as well.

However, right at that moment, Dr. V-Ron's words replayed in my mind.

Atlantis has fallen.

Who was this person standing before me? An enemy? An ally? The man I love? Or one I only desired?

I knew nothing about him. Only now did I realise that he was a stranger. The Axel I knew was a fake. Will he ever let me know his true sides? Was this all a lie as well? I was paranoid.

"How can I let you in... If you won't do the same?" I said, as my voice cracked.
I could still feel the mental barrier he put up between us. He has yet to let me into his heart. He still kept so many secrets. If he could not meet me halfway, how could I?

Axel pulled away. His eyes suddenly betrayed no emotions. None that I could read. He stood up and turned away, heading towards the door. I watched him leave.

He made his answer clear sans words.

He was not ready to let me into his heart.