Chapter Fifteen

"Was that a strike?" Bella and I whispered to Esme simultaneously.

She kept her eyes trained on the field, "If they don't hit it, it's a strike," she told us.

Jasper hurled the ball back to Alice's waiting hand, she gave a little grin then flicked the ball back out.

This time the bat made it around in time to smash into the invisible ball. The crack of impact was shattering, thunderous; it echoed off the mountains, I immediately understood the necessity of the thunderstorm.

That's our Emmy bear!

The ball shot like a meteor above the field, flying deep into the surrounding forest.

I smirked,

"Home run," I muttered slightly, there was no way somebody could catch the ball in time.

Oh Emmy, you're so fine, you're so fine you blow our mind,

hey Emmy, hey Emmy!

Oh Emmy, you're so fine, you're so fine you blow our mind,

hey Emmy, hey Emmy!

"Wait," Esme cautioned, listening intently, one hand raised. Emmett was a blur around the bases, Carlisle shadowing behind him.

"Out!" Esme cried in a clear voice. I stared in disbelief as Edward sprang like a pregnant lady on a spacehopper, from the fringe of the trees, ball in his upraised hand, his wide grin visible even to even Bella who didn't have the venomous advantage I had.

"Emmett hits the hardest," Esme explained, "But Edward runs the fastest."

Suddenly my phone stared to vibrate in my coat pocket screaming an all too familiar ringtone, one that I hadn't heard for at least a week.

They're creepy and they're kooky,

Mysterious and spooky,

They're all together ooky,

The Addams Family.

I have signal out here?

Well it's ringing isn't it?

I guess.

So pick the damn thing up! Danny doesn't call usually, she texts, see what she wants!

Snatching the phone from my pocket, I signaled to Esme and Bella that I'd be a minute and walked a way slightly before answering,

"Hel-"

"MOM WHY ARE YOU SO FUCKING PERFECT?" Danny cut me off with her irritated scream.

I snorted a laugh, "Hello to you too Morticia . How have you been? Turning 14 next week I believe."

She barked her own laugh at me, "Thanks for remembering Breeze. Psycho thought I was born in the winter, Petal didn't do any better... Why are you the only female that's crazy, likes alcohol, fucks multiple people nearly every night and is willing to join a 13 year old, 15 and 19 year olds in a double dutch group and perform on stage every Sunday night?"

"Because nobody is as screwed up in the head as me?" I asked her rhetorically.

There was a pause, "That's true. I still want you to sign the adoption papers though."

I shook my head and rolled my eyes, "So I'm guessing you haven't found my replacement?"

"Duh you dildo. Well, there was this one girl called Jessie, but we were on YouTube and saw how many Norman Reedus parodies Petal'd watched and she was like 'Ew, Rosie, you like him? He's creepy! Maddy, back me up here!' And Psycho threw things at her until she left..." She chuckled nervously,

"So, found any hot guys in Forks?" Danny asked a hint of knowing in her voice.

I sighed, "How'd you know? I've already got one psychic friend, do you wish to make a club?"

"You've already replaced us!" She exclaimed loudly, "Who are they? Do they buy you sparkly dildos too?"

I face palmed, feeling all the eyes watching me with amusement.

Damn that vampire hearing!

We have strange friends.

"Oh bejebus... You're thirteen, you don't need varicose veins already, calm the fuck down you possessive lunatic!" I gave her my 'stern mother' tone of voice,

"I can't come down for your b'day but I'll send you your presents and some money so you can start mailing me your stuff?" I asked.

A loud ecstatic scream came from the other end, "So you did finally signed the papers!" Danny screamed happily.

"I found a guy to legalize all the documents a while back, so technically I'm already your legal guardian and I bought us a small bungalow with some of the money Grammy Dwyer left me. We just need to find a good time, I was thinking the start of Easter?" I asked her, unaware of the large muscular body behind me.

Babes, sorry to break up the love fest, but Emmett's behind us.

Right thanks.

There was another earsplitting scream that made me wince, "YES YES, OH MY CHUBBY CHEEKS! YAY! WHOOOOOHHH!"

Arms suddenly encased my waist, a pair of lips in a distinct smirk pressing into my neck,

"Okay, Dan, I gotta go. Don't drink, no drugs and don't pierce anything I haven't. Apart from nipple piercings, that bloody hurts, don't do those EVER. Oh yea and eat your vegetables, you're way too pale."

There was a laugh,

"Bye bye Breeze!" the phone cut off and I slipped it onto my pocket.

The pair of lips moved to my temple,

"Nipple piercings?" He whispered, amusement lacing his smooth voice.

I frowned my special 'frowny face' that only a hand full of people had seen,

"Really? You just heard that I have a thirteen year old adopted daughter and you ask about my nipple piercing?"

"Alice?" Esme's voice asked, shocked through with tension.

We turned to see Alice frozen in her spot, "I didn't see, I couldn't tell," she whispered.

Everyone had gathered around by now, Emmett picked me up and carried me over quickly, as not to waste time.

What the hell is happening?

How am I meant to know? You're the smart one!

"What is it, Alice?" Carlisle questioned with the calm voice of authority, Bella and I shared a glance at one another, her face portrayed worry quite well.

"They were traveling much quicker than I thought. I can see I had the perspective wrong before," the little pixie murmured.

Jasper leaned over her, his posture protective, firm, "What changed?" he asked.

"They heard us playing, and it changed their path," she told us, contrite, as if she felt responsible for whatever had frightened her.

Eight pairs of quick eyes flashed to either mine or Bella's face, Emmett hugged me in tighter, growling deeply.

"How soon?" Carlisle said, turning toward Sir Broods-A-Lot.

A look of intense concentration crossed his face, kind of like constipation, "Less than five minutes. They're running, they want to play."

Oh balls...