Chapter 2

Charlotte Pov

"Or I could do this?" 

Before my eyes had caught up to the shift in the dust particles, a man stood behind the glass, now clearly visible to me. His dark hair fell over his eyes, high cheekbones pushed his eyes into slits as he smiled at me and not a flaw on his skin. Dressed in a black suit and tie with a grey shirt, his finger reached up to the glass. He touched it for half a second and it dissolved beneath his pressure and my eyes widened in shock.

"Now may I escort you to the dance." He held out his hand and foolish me, knowing know better than to trust a stranger, I accepted it. We walked in to the darkness, I glance back at the hollow frame and smiled inwardly.

"So what is my princess' name?" He had now linked arms with me and smiled down, I had been right about his eyes. The whites shone pearly white but in the middle a lightning of red shot from the pupil, it could almost make me scared if I hadn't seen my own reflection when the darkness takes over.

"Charlotte Sinette." I replied, we walked down the hallway drawn to the laughter and strong smell of wine that gathered in the air. He nodded silently and I asked him the same.

"Alexander Blackwood." We both looked at each other, I noticed the stubble against his strong jaw and the crease his eyebrows made when he talked.

"Who put you in that toy box?" He glanced back at the room we had just exited and I hung my head lowly. I stared at the red carpets that seemingly proved that my family was royalty, then the thought came back.

"Could do better." I murmured to myself and this surely caught the attention of Alexander because he raised a suspicious eyebrow. I shook the thought from my head ignoring the painful itch beneath my skin, that no matter how hard I scratch would never go away.

"My father, the king." I paused as we reached the pine wooden doors of the ballroom, they would open up to a room with such high ceiling it could provide the gods something to walk on. The yellow-ish glow to the room would not keep my shadows at bay and I would be afraid to break in front of so many people. However, I was anticipating the look on Father's face when I would walk through the door after a mere thirty minutes - in the now shattered prison - a hollow shell of what once was.

"Well I am honored to escort you tonight." He smirked at me before he wavered his hand and both doors open, stepping out onto the balcony and observing as party members had glanced upward. Who is this guy? We halted there for a moment both basking in the glory of the eyes that were trailing over us. We turned down the staircase and began our descent into 'blending in', his arm stayed fixed around mine as we stepped the final step onto the ballroom floor. I could see my father at the top of the banquet eating like his life depended on it, laughing like he didn't need to keep a facade of false royalty because he was far from royal. My mother was the queen, who had the royal blood, he had merely married into it.

"Care to dance." I tore my eyes away from the man I loathe as much as he loathes me and smiled at my gentleman for the night. I nodded etiquettely before we centered on to the dance floor. His hand held the small of my back and the other clasped in mine, I placed my hand on his shoulder and began to move to the orchestra. Getting lost in the melody and in the arms of Alexander, I could have sworn I saw my mother on the balcony.

"Are you okay?" He asked when I had looked intently at the empty balcony.

"Yes, I thought I saw someone." I reassured him it was nothing and he glanced around as if he were trying to help me. Now that we were the first ones on the dance floor it had caught the eyes of some other guest and they had reserved a wide circle around to observe.