Chapter 14 - Bodyguard

CHAPTER 14 – BODYGUARD

Ten Years Ago
Isobel's Condo
Cambridge, Massachusetts

-❈-

"It's just so unfair, you know?" Isobel sobbed. Alex wrapped his arms around her and pulled her closer. He kissed the top of her head and rubbed her back to soothe her.

"I know, baby."

"I worked so hard on that thesis and he'll fail me just because he doesn't share my beliefs and my opinion? What kind of shit is that?"

"He'll change his mind," Alex told her.

He knew why Isobel's professor failed her. It was not because he didn't agree with her research and the article she wrote. It was because he fancied her and Isobel turned him down. Maybe the little shit was paranoid that Isobel was going to tell on him and so he decided to fail her so she'll be out of this campus.

Alex already had a plan for that and he was just waiting for the perfect opportunity. No one gets away with making his girl cry.

And two days later, Alex sported a broken knuckle. Isobel's professor had a broken nose and a broken jaw.

Isobel received the highest grades in her class.

-❈-

January 27, 2014
The White House
Washington D.C.

For the first time in quite a long time, Alex Smith found himself nervous.

His hands were sweaty and his heart pounding an erratic rhythm. He was summoned to the white house a few hours ago. The one who called him was Isobel's head of security. He thought he was going to meet that guy but it turned out that the President, himself, wanted to speak to him.

Did the President know that he's seen Isobel again?

Was he going to tell Alex to stay away from his daughter?

Is he going to be threatened for all the previous crimes he committed?

Was the government going to hire him and his team for some covert ops?

Alex clenched his fist and forced himself to be calm.

His hand itched to hold his gun. Of course, he didn't bother bringing a weapon here. This is the White House and their security was intense. Aside from that, he didn't trust himself with a gun anywhere near the President.

He might just go from mercenary to assassin.

Alex's phone beeped and he retrieved it from his pocket. It was a text from Dash.

Hey chief! I gotta go for a while. Vacation and all that shit. Not sure when I'll go back. Will txt you. For now, am out of the grid. Peace out!

Alex frowned. Why was Dash going away on vacation all of a sudden? He wasn't the type to take vacations. Dash loved what he was doing and Alex knew that part of the reason why was that Dash was addicted to the thrill.

Alex racked up his memory for an instance that Dash went on vacation. There was none. After a particular mission, there was always time for them to have a bit of an unwinding. So there was really no need to schedule a vacation.

Besides, this job wasn't like the others where your vacation days are numbered in a year. Their job was different.

"Mr. Smith? The President will see you now."

Alex stood and fixed his jacket.

The door was opened by one of the President's staff. "Thanks," he mumbled.