New Chapter

New chapter is here after almost a year's break. But I'm back. And so are Sas and Daniel...Will grammar check later :)

I flung myself down the stairs and arrived at the bottom in a sweaty breathless heap. It was thirty five degrees outside and therefore far too hot to be running around. But if I didn't run to catch up with Daniel, then we were going to miss our flight to Sydney.

After three glorious weeks in Perth, Paul, Lizzie, Daniel and I were flying east to welcome the new year in. It was been weird staying in one place for more than a week. And it was going to be even weirder spending ten days in Sydney. That would be the longest amount of time that I'd ever spent in Australia's biggest city.

"All set?" Joe, Daniel's dad, asked.

"I found our passports," I replied, breathless. "In Daniel's pants drawer."

"You're brave going in there," Joe winked and pulled me in for a hug. "It's been brilliant having you around. Be back soon, won't you?"

"Of course!" And that was true, I thought to myself as Daniel cake bounding into the hallway.

"Found them?" he asked, almost surprised that I'd dogged the documents out. "I knew there was a reason why I'm marrying you."

"There'd better be several. And all better than that!" Daniel's mum appeared and gave her son a hug. "Oh I hate goodbyes..."

Daniel sighed. He didn't like goodbyes either. But they were all part of the parcel that came with Formula 1. Even if they were unwanted.

"You're coming over to Monaco in twenty four days, remember?" Dan hugged his mum back tighter before gently releasing her. "You'll get to see your new best friends then too."

He was talking about my parents. The four of them had hit it off big time over the Christmas period and were now organising a road trip down the south coast of France before skiing in Switzerland.

"I know but still, I don't like saying goodbye to my little boy!" Grace wiped her eyes. I could totally understand why she was upset. My mum and I had spent forty five minutes trying to say goodbye to each other. The day before last had been emotional, but it was their choice to jet off to the Great Barrier Reef to go scuba diving. Yes, my parents were taking this whole retirement thing very seriously indeed.

"Mum, we gotta go," Dan said, scraping his chocolate curls back from his forehead. His skin was as dark as I'd ever seen it thanks for a prolonged period in the Aussie sunlight. "I love you. And I love you too, Dad!"

Final goodbyes were said and last minute hugs were given but then, reluctantly, we had to leave before we became on the verge of missing our flight. None of us wanted that to happen.

Joe and Grace waved us off as Daniel and I prepared to set off. Daniel looked as cool as ever as he buckled up in his new blue shorts. He was wearing the pair that my parents had got him for Christmas, along with a new band t-shirt that I'd got him after extensive research was carried out. Dan did like some weird and pretty rare bands. Good for getting hold of gig tickets, bad for trying to find an online store that shipped to Australia.

"Well, that's home done for another year," Daniel smiled, putting his warm hand over mine. "Been a blast."

"You don't have to use that word just because my dad taught it to you," I said, returning his grin. "It's not really a you word."

"No, what is?" he asked, curious.

"Rad!" I giggled and demonstrated the gnarly sign that he'd recently taught me too.

"Oh Jeez," he chuckled. "Oh what a blast..."

—-

Although the weather in Perth had been exceptional, it wasn't the same case when we arrived in Sydney. It was grey and overcast, with light spots of rain hitting the pavement as we got dropped off outside our condo.

We were staying in the Manly beach area, a river taxi ride away from central Sydney. It was quieter where we were and meant that we could continue relaxing without being in the middle of a heaving city.

The holiday rental lady unlocked the door for us and gave us a tour of the apartment.  There were two spacious en suite bedrooms, a spacious open plan kitchen and living room and then a study that had been converted into a gym. Outside there was a small patio area for barbecuing and a plunge pool.

The lady gave some more information about the area before ensuring that we had her contact details. Then she headed off, leaving Daniel and I to unpack. Luckily, we only had to unpack one of our ginormous cases as the other one could be left until we were back in Monaco.

"This place is cool," Dan exclaimed, opening up the bifolding doors to the garden. "Can't wait for Paul and Lizzie to get here this evening!"

I was excited too. We hadn't seen the pair since Boxing Day as we'd both been busy with family engagements.

"Shall we get fish and chips tonight?" Dan continued, stretching his arms up. He could reach the ceiling when he stood on his tiptoes. "Did you know that the best fish and chip place in the whole of Australia is only a three minute walk away?"

Dan turned to face me and his eyes were glinting. Too right; we were talking about food here!

"And how do you know that?" I questioned, walking over to stand next to him. He stopped stretching and wrapped his arm around me so I was pulled into his chest.

"Trip Advisor was helpful on the plane while you were asleep," he said, pulling away to make sure that I saw the wink he gave me. "I think Paul and Lizzie will be up for it. We can have a walk along the coast too."

"Sounds like a good plan to me!"

"I know right. Thank me later!" He grinned, flashing me his white teeth. "Oh, Sas, have you had any signs yet?" He said this casually but not so casually that I knew he'd been thinking about it. A lot.

Well, as had I.

"Not yet," I said and noticed how dejected he looked. Again, he was trying to hide it. "I reckon we could have some time to ourselves before Paul and Lizzie get there, though..."

"Now you're the one coming up with the good plans!" Daniel cracked a smile and I couldn't help but smile at how much I loved him.