Chapter Twenty Seven: Here

I was awake very early. In fact, I'd hardly slept. I had been so terrified of Daniel wetting himself or throwing up in the bed (or having a seizure) that before I knew it, the sun was up.

I tried nestling back into the pillows and closing my eyes but it was no use. I knew I had a lot to do today- peeling vegetables was just the start of it all.

"Jesus," a groan from next to me caused me to reach for my mobile in case I had to dial the emergency services. Oh good God, I was going to end up kneeling by my fiance in intensive care all day and night. "Wait, what?"

"Are you okay?" I asked, sitting up and still annoyed once I knew he wasn't going to peg out.

"I...fuck," Daniel grabbed my hand and too sat up as if it had all come back to him. "I need to say I'm sorry. Real sorry."

"It's okay. You killed the rug and I got fifty minutes sleep but it's cool."

"Saskia," the grip he had on my hand tightened as he looked at me. His eyes, which were very bloodshot, were ringed with dark, dark circles. "I was a total jerk last night and got carried away. I should not have done that, no way. I'm seriously sorry."

I nodded. He wouldn't have done this on purpose; that was simply against his nature.

"Can you go brush your teeth and shower," I whispered, wiping an eyelash away from his cheek. "I hope you're alright for today."

"I'm sweet," he said, but I knew he had a killer headache.

Nodding once more, I left him to pull himself together as I went in the desperate search of coffee. I needed lots of it and rather quickly if I was to snap out of this foul mood. And if I was going to make it through the day without passing out in one of the flower beds. Uncool.

"Saskia, is that you?" Mum wandered into the kitchen, rubbing her eyes and yawning.

"Are you okay?" I asked for the second time in the space of five minutes.

"Your dad got drunk. Was sick in the bed covers." Mum sighed and slumped down in a chair whilst I switched the kettle onto boil. I telepathically told it to hurry the fuck up. "I don't know what he and Daniel were drinking."

"Whisky. And red wine, judging by the colour of Dan's vomit," I whispered, feeling my eyes prick with tears. The time on the clock said six thirty. "Lots of it."

"Don't be too annoyed with him, Sas."

"He completely destroyed your rug and I've slept for about three seconds. We're both a mess for this big party which you have all worked so hard for." I let a few tears slip, holding my head in my hands on the work top. This was more stressful than three media meltdowns put together.

I heard Mum's chair scrape across the tiles and soon she was giving me a much needed hug. "David told me last night, before he passed out, that Dan said you were his best friend. He said it's amazing that his...what's the word...homies are here, but you're his best friend. Soul mate."

"He said that?" I managed to stutter after a few seconds.

"He said that."

"Oh I love him so much!"

"I know you do. Your dad was a total dipshit by giving him his special whisky and then mixing with some red. I've told him off, don't worry." Mum grabbed two cups and I stopped her, so she put one back. "And I never liked that rug anyway."

"I need to go and apologise and make it right before he jumps...I mean drags himself in the shower. I'll be back down in a bit."

"Take your time," Mum smiled warmly, wiping a tear of mine away. "We've not got a lot of prep to do today. We're so lucky your cousins are chefs."