Chapter 16

At The Wake- The Format

*

*

*

*

*

I was numb.

My whole world crashed down in one single moment and I couldn't do anything to prevent it.

I called Amelia first, and after she said she was on her way, I called Alana and Mom who said they were on their way up as well. I dropped my phone into my lap and waited in the lobby of the Emergency Room for Emmett' surgen to come out and tell me that he'd be okay. I needed to hear he was okay and I needed to see him. Eddie sat next to me with his hand holding mine tightly, anchoring me to something real.

"Eddie," I whispered. "Why hasn't the doctor come out yet? It's been two hours, they should be done by now." Eddie tucked me into his side and kissed the top of my head.

"Do you want me to go ask?" He whispered, I nodded. Eddie let me go and stood, walking over to the nurses station for the third time in the past two hours. Eddie jogged back over to me with a slight smile.

"Is he out of surgery?" I asked, very hopeful. Eddie nodded and pulled me into a tight hug. I hugged him back as a surgeon came out of the large double doors. The older man walked over to the two of us in his scrubs.

"Are you two here for Mr. Larken?" He asked. We nodded and stood, waiting for the information the doctor was going to tell us.

"Mr. Larken is being transfered to the recovery unit. The bullet that pierced his chest missed the heart by an inch. His recovery should be fully complete in a couple of months. Who is going to stay over night with him?"

"I will." I whispered, grabbing my bag off of the floor. The doctor nodded and waited for me to join him. I turned to Eddie and gave him one last hug. "Please, stay the night in the apartment with Imogen. When Amelia and my mom and my friend get here, make them sleep for a few hours in the apartment too. Tell them that visiting hours are at ten a.m.. Got it?" I asked and he nodded. I turned around and followed the doctor to Emmett's room.

As we entered the semi-private room, the doctor explained to me that they sedated Emmett and he would wake up sometime in the next twenty-four hours. Emmett was in the bed at the opposite side of the room, with a heart monitor hooked up to him, along with an IV and cannula tubes to help him breathe. I started shaking as the doctor lead me to my unconsious boyfriend and helped me into the plastic hospital chair next to him. The doctor left us after I grabbed his cold hand in mine and squeezed it tightly.

"Emmett," I whispered, bringing his knuckles to my lips and kissing them. "Please wake up soon. I need you to tell me you're okay." I sighed and closed my eyes, fatigue suddenly catching up with me. This was going to be one long night. I tried sleeping in that god awful chair, but it was so uncomfortable and the floor was nasty. I managed a few hours and the morning nurse brought me a well needed cup of tea at four in the morning. I watched Emmett's peaceful face as Alana texted me to keep me company and for updates for Amelia. He just needed to wake up, like, right now preferably.

"Hey, sweetheart." The morning nurse said at eight in the morning. I smiled at her as she handed me a second cup of tea. "How ya feelin'?"

"Tired. These chairs suck." I mumbled, rubbing my eyes. The nurse chuckled as she checked Emmett over.

"Well, if it's any consolation, you're boyfriend should be waking up soon and then you can climb into bed with him. I won't tell anyone, I promise." She said, checking his pulse.