Chapter 12 (Part II)

The five of us walked into the garden in back of the stuffy gym. The school set up about fifteen or so white picinic tables with eight chairs at each one. I had a small graduating class, which I didn't mind at all. Except for the fact that I dated a few guys in this class. Okay, it was more like six, but three of those were triplets and it was my first year there. They made me feel used, and that was only the beginning.

Emmett squeezed my hand as we neared the crowd of one-hundred and twenty people. I looked up and smiled at him before scooting closer to Emmett. He slid his arm around my waist and pinched my butt, causing me to yelp.

"Emmett!" I hissed as my friends laughted at me. I rubbed my butt as Emmett pulled me to his front and held me close. I relaxed a little as he kissed my nose gently.

"I love you, baby." He murmured. "Now, relax and lets enjoy tonight." I nodded and let him drag me onto the dance floor. The band played a slow song and Emmett looped his arms around my waist, and we swayed to the music. With my arms locked around his neck and my head on his shoulder, I decided I needed to man up and tell him I love him.

"Emmett," I said against his open collar. Now or never, Eleanor. "I--"

"Ella!" I familiar voice called. I whipped my head around with a groan. Ex-boyfriend nuber one: Joshua Beckette. Emmett tightened his arms around me and kissed my forehead.

"Who's he?" Emmett asked quietly.

"My first Ex." I mumbled, slipping my arms around his waist. "I'm sorry. I didn't think about my past boyfirends when I wanted you to come with me." Emmett smiled and kissed my lips sweetly as Joshua came closer. I pulled back and turned in Emmett's arms to face Josh. Emmett rested his chin comfortably on the top of my head, since I was about 5'9 and he was 6'2.

"Ella, its so good to see you again." Joshua said when he came up to us. He looked at Emmett and offered him a fame smile. "Joshua Beckette, you are?" He asked as he offered Emmett his hand.

"Emmett Larken." Emmett said, shaking his hand with his other arm wrapped around my waist. "Ella's boyfriend." He added. I rolled my eyes and leaned into Emmett, pressing my shoulder blades against his chest.

"Do you mind if I dance with Ella for a song?" Josh asked. Emmett reluctantly let me go and retreated to the table with Markus, Julianna and Adam. Josh pulled me into his arms and danced to the rest of the song.

"So, what's with the bum?" He asked bluntly.

"Emmett's not a bum." I replied dryly. "Just because he doesn't come from money like you doesn't mean he's a bum."

"Did he go to college?"

"Yes. Community college. Now he's working construction jobs and at the local public school as a math tutor." I replied, looking for Emmett over Josh's shoulder.

"Ya know, if you had stayed with me, you could have gone to Princeton." Josh said out of the blue. I snorted and shook my head.

"You never cared about me, Josh. You were using me." I said quietly. "And besides, I never would have stayed with you. We never clicked."

"I could have given you anything you ever wanted." Josh tried.

"Yeah, on Daddy's pretty penny." I replied. "It would never have come from you." I spotted Emmett and smiled at him, and Emmett smiled back. I could tell he didn't like Joshua, or anyone else at the party but my friends and I. Josh and the people who were here on their father's check didn't understand what it meant to have to work for your keep, since their keep was handed to them. Markus, Julianna, Adam and I had to work in the kitchen to go to this school because we were on Financial Aid.