My Hero (for tomato_tomatto)

This imagine was requested by tomato_tomatto 
Enjoy! =)

It was dusty.

You wrinkled your nose, trying not to sneeze as you sidestepped an old bed frame and scratched dresser, looking around them.  Nothing but cobwebs.  And more dust.

"Will!" you threw your voice over your shoulder, hoping it would carry down the stairs at the far end of the room. "Where did you say the extra chairs wer--oh!  Never mind, found them!"

You began to shove aside a pile of precariously-stacked cardboard boxes, attempting to make a space big enough to fit through in order to reach the metal chairs folded up against the wall in the corner.

The boxes were heavier than you had anticipated, but after slipping on the wooden floor a bit, your shoes finally gained some traction and, struggling, you were able to move them.  You were glad of that, not wanting to have had called Will up there to help you, seeing as he was busy finishing up preparing the food and entertaining the guests downstairs.  It was just a small get together with some of Will's co-workers from The Maze Runner, but even still there hadn't been enough chairs.  Will had mentioned something about there being extra in the attic, so, eager to help, you had dashed off to get them.

It hadn't been easy to get up the nerve enough to climb the attic stairs.  Not because you were afraid of the dust or the dark, but because of the one thing that scared you no matter how irrational it was.  Spiders.  And, unfortunately, you knew all too well that dark, undisturbed places like attics were where the long-legged creeps liked to hang around.  But, you had been determined not to let your fear override your desire to help out your boyfriend, so with great effort, you had forced yourself up the stairs before you had the chance to overthink.

Now, glancing around, you realized that the few cobwebs that drooped from the attic ceiling were, thankfully, abandoned.  You grabbed a couple of the metal chairs, quickly realizing that you would have to make two trips.  Oh well.

As you dragged the chairs from the wall, something small and dark glided across the floor at your feet.  You jumped, letting out a small shriek, and scrambled as far back as you could against the stack of boxes behind you.  

Your heart was racing, and it took a moment for your panicked mind to finally register that the thing on the floor was no longer moving.  It was then that you realized the thing on the floor was not in fact your worst enemy, but a misshapen dust bunny.  You let out a shaky sigh of relief allowing your lungs to be filled with needed air, heart still thumping, still shaken from your scare.

You leaned against the stack of boxes, trying to regain your breath, desperately glad that no one had been around to see your pathetic panic over a ball of dust.  A slight, almost-crazed laugh broke through your lips, and you took another deep breath, running your fingers through your hair and dropping your chin to your chest in embarrassed relief.

As you did, your fingers caught around something hard and smooth.  Pulling it out, you stared down at the black, shiny thing in your palm for a fraction of a second before the horrible realization of what it was sank in.  You screamed, shaking your hand hard and slamming into the stack of boxes behind you.  There was a terrifying crash as the boxes toppled over, knocking you to the ground.

You were disoriented for a moment, scrambling around, trying to find a way to free yourself from the tangle of busted boxes, pots, pans, and an assortment of other things, heart pounding, unable to think of anything but the fact that a marble-sized, spindly-legged spider had just been in your hair, and then your hand, and that it was now scurrying around you somewhere in the mess on the floor.