The Doctor Dances: Chapter 25

Start from the beginning

We arrived outside room 802, where Jack used his blaster on the door lock to get us in.

"Nice, sonic blaster. Fifty first century," Savannah said, smiling while looking at his blaster.

We all looked at her, amazed how she knew that.

'I really shouldn't be surprised at how she knows that. Her friend probably told her,' I thought.

"Yeah...", Jack said slowly, bringing me out of my thoughts.

"How did you know that?", Rose asked her.

"How'd you think?," Savannah asked her then looked at Jack and I, "My friend used to have one, but then it was stolen, got lost or was destroyed, or something...so she got something better."

'Thought so,' I thought, as I nodded my head slowly before looking at Jack and ask him, "Weapon Factories of Villengard?"

"You've been to the factories?", he asked me.

I took the blaster from him to have a closer look, while answering, "Once."

"Well, they're all gone now, destroyed. The main reactor went critical. Vaporised the lot."

"Like I said, once," I said, giving back his blaster. "There's a banana grove there, now. I like bananas. Bananas are good," I smiled at him.

"You and your bananas!", Savannah said, shaking her head and smiling affectionately at me.

I returned the smile, grabbed her hand and walked into the room with her. The room was dark, so I found a light switch on a wall and flicked it on, revealing a vandalised room. We saw that filing cabinets had been tipped over and electrical equipment had been broken. The observation window across the room had also been smashed.

"What'd you think?", I asked them, looking around.

"Something got out of here," Jack said.

"Yeah, and?", I asked.

"Something powerful, angry," Jack added.

"Powerful and angry," I repeated quietly, as Jack went through the open door that lead to the room behind the broken observation window, Rose following him. Savannah and I looked through the objects on a table, already knowing it was a child that did this.

I overheard Jack say, surprised, "A child? Well, I suppose that explains 'mummy.'"

"How could a child do this?", Rose asked, surprised and confused.

Savannah turned on a tape machine that was on the table.

"Do you know where you are?", came the voice of Dr. Constantine.

"Are you my mummy?", the voice of the gas-masked child asked.

"Are you aware of what's around you? Can you see?"

"Are you my mummy?"

"What do you want? Do you know..."

"I want my mummy. Are you my mummy? I want my mummy! Are you my mummy? Are you my mummy? Mummy? Mummy?"     

"Doctor, I've heard this voice before," Rose told me, recognising it.

"Us too," I told her, gesturing between myself and Savannah.

"Mummy?"

"Always 'are you my mummy?'. Like he doesn't know," Rose said.

"Mummy?"