•Chapter 1•

Anne stood on the docks, the salty sea air blowing through her short brown hair. Her brown eyes watered because of the cold wind blowing straight into her face.

Dark, grey clouds filled the sky and the grey sea swayed and crashed into the rocks like a storm was coming. Or maybe the sea could tell what was going to happen to the nervous nurses who stood shaking on the docks.

Anne's wore a blue dress that ended just below her knees. It had a white apron on top, and it had a white collar and cuffs that ended at her elbows. She had black tights on underneath and laced-up black boots.

All the other nurses wore identical clothes. Their faces were all the same too; They were filled with anxiety.

The nurses were split up and assigned to different destroyers, all of which were ready to set off when they were told too.

•••

Anne got into the destroyer and started getting everything ready with other nurses. They were given bandages and scissors to put in their pockets in case they needed them really quick or couldn't get to the rest of the supply.

Once everything was set up, the nurses began talking to keep their minds of what was lying ahead. They talked about things like how they were annoyed at the rationing because they couldn't binge eat biscuits and the new music that had just come out.

Anne and her friend Frankie were both new nurses and hadn't been on a boat before so when it began to move, they both nearly fell on their faces. The other nurses, who had been on a destroyer, just giggled at them and kept them steady.

The boats were very big and quick so it wasn't long until France could be seen on the horizon. Anne had never been to France and even though this was not exactly the 'holiday' she had dreamed of, she still wanted to visit after the war. If she made it out alive.

She scolded herself for thinking that way. She had to stay positive otherwise she wouldn't be able to help the soldiers. Sometimes it helps if you pretend everything is going to be fine.

Anne and the nurses around her became tense as they pulled into the dock. The boat that had docked in front of them had just been bombed and destroyed.

The nurses from the other boat got onto the boat Anne was currently on. She grabbed some life jackets and went to the door of the boat, at the top of some steps.

Once she was at the top of the steps, drizzle hit her face and she was aware of the grey sky above the boat. The weather matched the mood perfectly.

Anne straightened out her uniform, and got the life jackets ready to hand out. Then, soldiers began to pile onto the boat.