Chapter 16

The sliver of moonlight that was emitted from a crack in the ceiling strangely gave Sabine comfort. The thin cot she had been given to sleep on was insufferable, and her stomach ached from lack of food. Scratches and bruises went all up her body from working the dangerous machines all day.

She didn't know how long she had been at the prison. Maybe a few days, maybe weeks. She had lost count. Her days were miserable and continuos, and the tiring work they did wiped her out. But the four hour break they were permitted hardly was enough. Most nights, she could only fall into a light sleep before waking up to do more work.

But tonight, no matter how hard she attempted to, nothing could make her rest. So, instead of dozing, she laid down and squinted at the crack in the ceiling.

If she tilted her head just right, she could make out the Stars and constellations surrounding them. It was only a little view of them, but to her it was the only taste of the outside world. The blaze of the tiny Sparks in the sky gave her hope. She wondered if the Ghost Crew were staring at the stars, thinking of her.

"What are you doing?" A voice whispered from behind her. Sabine turned in the direction it was coming from. It was the girl. Since the first day, they hadn't really talked, unless it was terms like "pass the wrench." Or
" give me the blueprints."

Sabine pointed up at the ceiling. "The stars." She answered quietly. "Even though you can only see a little bit of them, they're always beautiful."

The girl nodded. "I used to do that." She stared at her hands, which always seemed to be bloody from work. "Back when I first came."

"What's your name?" Sabine inquired, leaning on one side to face her companion. She was getting sick of just calling her "the girl"

The girl shrugged. "I don't really remember." She admitted. "Before I came here, that is. I only have snippets of memories and a faint clue of who I used to be. They call me prisoner number 66." She sighed, trying her best to remember the past.

Sabine felt sick as she more closely examined sixty-six. The girl was obviously extremely malnourished but had muscles from working the machine. Blood, dirt and machine grease streaked her dark skinned face. The prison jumpsuit she was wearing was so old, that the orange colors had turned grey and a string was tied around it to keep it up.  Her dark hair was cut in an uneven bobcut which she had obviously cut herself to stop it from getting in the way. But the thing that scared Sabine most was her eyes. Dull numb green ones that at one state must have been full of life. Now they were replaced with the ones of a robot. A mindless soul working to make weapons.

"Well, I can't just call you sixty six." Sabine declared, trying to get her mind off of those haunting eyes. "Let's see... Sixty six, hmm. Can I call you... CeCe?"

Slight TFA reference anyone?

There was a pause until the girl cracked a small grin. It was extremely small and in a way more like a grimace (probably from lack of smiling) but still. "CeCe." She repeated, almost to herself. "CeCe. I like it."

Sabine laughed quietly. "It's best if we get our rest." She decided as she went back to her small things matress.  "But CeCe? Can I ask you a question?"

CeCe nodded, so she continued. "What are they going to do with those blueprints? The ones we are using as references?" She needed to know.

CeCe shrugged, but trembled as she spoke. "I don't know. We never know until they test it. They test it on innocent men and women." She responded emotionlessly, as if this was something she had come accustomed to. "And they make us work the machines. And you die if you resist. Believe me, I know this. You're prisoner number 80.
Everyone before you- except for me of course- has died. And I've watched...."

Okay that got dark real fast. What do you think of CeCe and her character? Did I do an accurate portrayal of someone who has literally been rotting away in an imperial prison for a long long time? I think I did.

Ahhhhhnsuehehehehebebdbjdow nsjsjsndheuehehhdsnnsnenejn 2 MORE KRIFFING DAYS!!!!!!!! TILL JEDI NIGHT!!!! PLZ DONT spoil it for me because I won't be able to watch it till later Monday night. I'll be at my grandparents house for the day. So just do me a favor plz?

~Catie❤️✌️