Chapter 12

As the rain poured endlessly from the sky above, Ezra aimlessly strolled around the base. Hera and Kanan would probably be looking for him, worried. He just needed to get his mind off things.

It had been a few days since the doctors had declared him physically well enough to leave their hands. He no longer needed a walker or any assistance.  But there wasn't really anything to celebrate about it. He hadn't said a word since... That meeting.

His heart ached as he thought of Sabine. After everything that had happened, everything they had been through together, it had to end like this? He scoffed, and kicked a nearby rock into the surrounding forest. The boy wished that he had died during the torture he had endured. The pain he was feeling right now was worse than anything Thrawn did to him.

Ezra knew Kanan was worried about him and the dark side. How wrong his master was. No, what he was feeling wasn't anger or revenge. Not after what Vader did to him. He felt.... Numb. Like nothing really could bother him anymore. He didn't just lose the love of his life, but also his will to live.

He doubted that anything in his life- anything would be the same again.

In the distance, Ezra could see the pilot quarters. There, he could make out the sight of  Wedge, and was that a girl? He remembered Sabine mentioning  Wedge getting a girlfriend while he was in his coma. Kateari was her name?

His throat tightened as he remembered what she had said about it.

"We could have had the perfect love story. But in this war, that's a luxury we're deprived of having."

As Wedge and his new girlfriend leaned in for a kiss, Ezra looked away, ready to cry. If he could do things over...

Well, it was time to head back. As he walked backed to the Ghost, it was hard to distinguish his tears and the rain trickling down his face.

***

"And we'll be sure to have a memorial for young Ms. Wren." Mon Mothma wringed her hands while sitting across from the two parents.

Hera nodded gratefully while Kanan just sat there, barely paying attention. "Thank you, ma'am." She absent-mindedly fidgeted with her lekku. "It means a lot for our crew after such a shattering loss."

The redhead general put her hand on the mother's shoulder. "If there's anything- anything more I can do," She began.

Hera attempted to smile, but it turned out more like a grimace. "Its just such a shock."

Out of the blue, the back door of the Ghost whooshed open to reveal a soaked Ezra.

"Ezra!" Hera called out. The boy turned to face her, his sad dull eyes staring back into hers. "Where were you? You can't just dissapear like that without telling us! Especially not in your condition" She scolded her son, not expecting a response.

The boy shrugged. "I was on a walk, that's all." He stated, his voice only above a whisper. "To clear my thoughts."

Hera's heart softened. "Next time tell us, okay?" She asked. The boy made no response to this. The woman continued. "Honey, they're making a memorial for Sabine. To honer her life. Do you want to help design it? I think it will be good for you."

Ezra shook his head. "Why bother? It's not like it will bring her back." He muttered mournfully, before exiting to go to his room. A few seconds later, with a click, the door locked.

The twi'lek sighed, fighting back the urge to go and hug her boy. He needed his space. Everyone did, after the loss they just endured. She glanced back at Kanan, who seemed to be lost in his own thoughts.

Mon Mothma took her que and left wordlessly. What more could she say to the mourning crew?

Hera sat down, and put her hands to her face. She missed Sabine so so much. It was hard to believe that the Mandalorian she had come to see as a daughter over the years had really died. But there was nothing could change the fact: Sabine Wren was dead and gone forever...