Chapter Sixteen

"You have no idea how uncomfortable this is," I tell Ada. "You're out of your mind if you think I can actually do this!"

Ada, my assigned mentor, crosses her slender arms over her chest. "You're not scared, are you?" Her voice echoes around the dark training room.

I grip the set of daggers in my shaking fists. "I'm exhausted, I'm hungry, and I just want to take a nap. For goodness' sake, I'm growing another human being! Isn't there some kind of limit for... my state?"

"Well, yeah. But I haven't even pushed you that far. Come on, Belle. I trained three times this hard when I was pregnant with my daughter. Besides, you did great with archery! You will be fine with this. It's just like it, but with knives instead!"

I slump my shoulders. Anthony had assigned Ada to me because she had experience in invasions whilst pregnant. No one gave too many details as to who invaded and when, but it unnerves me to think about the possibility of not being one hundred percent safe here even though we are constantly reassured that we are safe.

As safe as it gets.

"Fine."

I raise one of the daggers over my shoulder and focus on the target on the other end of the training room. Ada has set up a silhouette cut-out of a big bear. She said it's best to start big, then get smaller and smaller.

"Trust yourself," Ada breathes behind me. "Trust your instincts."

I throw the knife as hard as I can without wavering my balance. I remember the wrist techniques Ada instructed me in beforehand. The dagger flies hilt over blade directly into what would be the eye of the bear.

"Ha!" Ada cries out in triumph. "I knew you were a natural! This is quite some gift you have, Belle."

I glance at her. "You don't think it's the hormones, do you?"

My mentor scoffs. "Don't be stupid. Of course not. Your precision comes from inside you. It must have been hidden your entire life! You know—I bet you get it from your father. He was always a natural. We trained together when he first came to New Athens."

"You did?"

Ada takes the daggers from my hands and takes them to the weapons locker near the door to the training room. "I always wanted to be better than him, and I was until Vivian showed up. I think she made him better, to be honest. Not that she trained him or anything. He just needed her to lift his spirits."

My heart warms at the history my parents have. It's still a bit unknown to me, but at dinners they like to share little stories with Alec and me.

"That's enough for today," Ada says. She grips my shoulder gently. "You need to rest."

I smile at her. "Thanks, Ada."

I leave Ada to do some extra training for herself and head out into the corridor lined with other training rooms. The hallway is dimly lit by dangling lights. I peer through the square window of the door across from mine and see Alec participating in a mock sword fight with another boy I don't know. Their mentors watch on in amusement. Alec doesn't let his sling slow him down, especially since his left shoulder was injured and he's right handed.

I slowly start to smile as I see him getting the better of his opponent, quickly forcing him back with each slash of his sword. As archaic as this seems, it's kind of attractive.

Suddenly, Alec's opponent jams the hilt of his sword into Alec's hand clutching his own and he drops it, letting out a pained shriek. I let out a tiny gasp, fogging the window.