Chapter Eight

Saying goodbye to everyone is difficult. They allowed us to stay in their home despite us being here a year prior without their permission (even though getting said permission wasn't even possible). Bottom line—they were very hospitable to us.

"You sure you don't want me to come with you guys?" Agatha asks as she hands me a backpack.

I shake my head with a laugh. "No, we'll be just fine. You belong here with your daughter and husband."

She gives me a strong hug. "Okay, so I packed you a blanket, a water bottle, some snacks, matches, and two extra changes of clothes. Oh, and a toothbrush and toothpaste. The toothpaste won't taste very good considering it's a little expired, but it'll get the job done."

"Thank you."

I feel Alec tug on my hand. "Time to go, Love," he says gently.

Helen hugs me strongly, careful of the baby. "If you need anything, feel free to come back and stay as long as you like. I—I can even deliver your baby if you want me to!"

I smile at her. "I know."

We say goodbye to the rest of the clan and set off across the field to the gate, Gus trotting ahead of us as if he knows where we're going.

"You know the way, right?" I ask Alec.

He chuckles. "I sure hope so. Up the mountain, I believe."

"Gus sure seems to think so!" I giggle.

***

We follow the familiar forest trail towards the crumbling road that used to be bustling with cars and trucks. The trail seems to be growing over with weeds and moss, topped off with vines from the shrouding trees. Darkness falls by the time we reach the road and start heading towards the towering mountains miles away.

"You ready to stop for the night?" Alec asks me, nudging my shoulder.

"You read my mind," I say with a dramatic sigh. We see a sign on the road that reads Exit 33AB that is worn down and slightly melted away by who-knows-what. We stop in front of it.

Alec points to the section on the sign that says Lodging. "Looks like we've got quite a few options," he says. "What do you think? Super 12 Motel, Golden Stallion Inn, or Crown Lodge?"

"Mm.... Let's do Crown Lodge. That sounds really nice."

Alec laughs. "Watch it be the worst out of the three, and it'll be all your fault!"

"Hey! How am I supposed to know which one is the best? And why does it even matter? Not like any of them are going to be clean after being abandoned for years upon years."

Alec wraps his arms around me from behind. "I'm just teasing you. I'm sure we'll be fine. Ready?"

I nod.

We locate the Crown Lodge off the exit, and Alec manages to break down the boards that block off the entrance to the once-grand hotel. When the boards clatter to the ground, dust erupts from the floor, and the noise echoes off the intricate walls.

We step over the threshold together. I have an iron-grip on Alec's arm. "Well, this is... haunting," Alec mutters.

The only light that filters into the lobby of this once-great hotel is from a broad window over the main door. I can hardly see the dust floating around in the moonlight that streams through.

We've stayed in abandoned hotels before, so Alec knows what he's doing when he leaves my side to walk over to the front desk. A big guest book rests on top with a film of dust covering the entire desk like a blanket.

As Alec begins to rummage under the front desk looking for any keys to the guest rooms, a shadow falls in front of me, and I'm suddenly aware of a presence behind me. My heart jumps into my throat when I'm violently gripped with a big burly arm around my front, coarse arm hair tickling my chin.

And then I feel something sharp against my throat.

"Alec," I squeak pathetically.

He stands up right and his jaw drops. "Belle—"

"Shut up!" a sharp voice snaps in my ear. I feel his chest rumble on my back.

Footsteps on the dry earth outside come next, and I immediately realize we've come to the wrong hotel... My bad.

"Please let her go," Alec pleads. He takes a hesitant step forward, but my captor points at him with the knife that was held to my throat seconds before.

"Don't take another step!" he growls. He has a thick accent, probably originating from a country that fell long ago.

"What have we here?" a new voice chimes in behind us. This newcomer has a smoother, deeper voice. "Trespassers?"

"By the looks of it," my holder responds.

I hear the latest arrivals step over the threshold and stomp on the broken boards. Now before me, I see a tall man with slick black hair and a scraggly mustache that forms a misshapen beard on his chin. His green eyes pierce into mine. I'd guess he's in his late twenties, at most. He places his hands on his knees and leans on them, looking me right in the face as if I were a child who couldn't understand the trouble I am.

Part of that is true.

He then points to the broken boards. "Do those mean nothing to you two?"

"We thought this place was abandoned!" I quickly sputter out.

The dark-haired man shakes his head. "Doesn't matter. You two were trespassing, and what do we do to trespassers?" he asks, raising his voice to what appears to be others outside.

Voices erupt from behind. "Kill! Kill! Kill!"

Alec and I lock eyes, wide with fear. What have we gotten ourselves into?

A/N: Hey all! Sorry this update took FOREVER. Stuff came up and life got SUPER busy. I'm starting to take suggestions for what you guys would like to see happen next! Comment below with an idea, and I might just use it!