Chapter Thirteen

After what Mrs. Bentley claims has been a week, the air has become clearer, the wind picks up, and we see the ocean.

I'd never thought we'd get a glimpse of it in a million years, but here it is, glowing orange as the sun sets behind us.

"Let's try North and see where that gets us," Mr. Bentley decides.

We follow the sand-sprinkled road past a line of beach houses that face the sleepy ocean. By nightfall, we pick one to settle in for the night.

There aren't as many rooms as usual, so we share one with Alec's parents on the main floor. Luckily, there are two full-sized beds in the room. This must have been a vacation home, based on how neat and tidy it is.

With immense exhaustion, I climb under the covers with Alec and curl into him. Despite how warm it is outdoors, it's quite chilly inside.

Mr. and Mrs. Bentley come and in and out of the room as they make sure everyone else is getting settled, but I fall asleep in Alec's arms before they settle down themselves.

No time seems to pass before I'm jolted awake by what sounds like aloud engine outside. I immediately prod Alec multiple times in the chest.

He grunts. "What is it?"

"Listen!" I hiss.

He freezes.

The sound of the engine outside running appears to get louder and louder until it stops. Right outside the house.

Alec and I scramble out of the bed. My husband wakes his parents while I wander out into the hallway and into the large living room with the back door that faces the road. Others appear to be stirring around the house, too. Sarah and Riah come down the stairs, Charlie in his mom's arms. "What's that noise?" Sarah asks in a squeak. The three of us warily walk to the window beside the back door. I put a protective arm around Sarah as the we peer through the cracked window blinds.

Parked on the side of the road is a large car with flat edges and sharp corners. Three men and a woman sporting a straight-haired ponytail emerge from the car within seconds and begin to disperse through the neighborhood. Each carries a long, intimidating gun.

I feel a hand connect with my back, and swiftly turn around to see Alec. "Don't wander off like that," he says seriously. "We go together."

I look into his eyes and see the genuine fear flickering in his icy blue eyes. "Sorry."

He nods briefly, and then nudges me so he can get a look out the window as well. Then we hear sharp footsteps on the stairs outside leading to the back porch.

Alec suddenly shoves the three of us away from the window a little violently, but he then gently touches my belly before he starts herding us towards the stairs. "All of you need to hide upstairs. Find an attic or a closet. Somewhere to hide. We'll handle this."

"What if they're not dangerous?" I protest. I hate feeling like I can't defend myself, because it's true. I can't.

Alec shakes his head. "I'm not risking anything. You need to protect yourself and our baby. All of you, go hide."

We scramble up the stairs, and we follow Riah to the end of the hallway where she and Chance must have been staying. Her husband passes us on his way downstairs. "Be careful," Riah says.

Chance touches her arm but doesn't speak.

"Sarah, get Clarissa and your mom. We'll hide in our bathroom."

We hear the door downstairs suddenly burst open with a crack, and my heart pounds at the sound of a cocking gun.

No, no, no. Please leave us alone...