Chapter Three

After changing, Agatha and I head to the kitchen to help Helen with whatever she's cooking up. To our surprise, she's using the squirrel that Gus dragged in.

"It can be very good when prepared just right!" she says when I give her a surprised expression.

The kitchen, being as old-fashioned as it is, has a fireplace in it that Helen uses to cook the meat and steam the vegetables. I watch shyly from the door jamb as the other women and little Ally assist Helen. They know what they're all doing, even the girl, and I'm just standing here looking like a terrified idiot.

"Hon, don't be so scared!" Helen says with a laugh. She has a low, crumbly voice, as if she used to smoke. "I'll teach you how to cook this thing."

I step slightly into the room, but not very far. "I know how," I say, trying my best not to sound like a know-it-all. It's not helping. "Um... we've been on our own for a long time."

Helen nods slowly. "Well, then you can help me out."

I want nothing more than to go back into the living room and be with Alec. I want him to hold me and tell me these people aren't really here. That these strangers haven't just barged into our home—

Their home.

I can't imagine what they must feel seeing two strangers—two stubborn teenagers living in their home. But in our defense, no one was here when we got here! We're in the middle of a freaking apocalypse. What are you going to do?

I take the tongs from Helen and stare at the skinned squirrel in all its naked glory.

***

By the time dinner is ready, the other girl, who I've learned is named Kaya, and Ally had already set the dining room table. Helen calls for dinner time, and the three men in the living room pile in eagerly. The old man doesn't seem as angry at Alec as he had before, but he still gave us skeptical looks, like he doesn't really trust us.

I wouldn't trust us either.

Helen prays for our food, and then we start eating. The family before Alec and I eat more ravenously than I've ever seen before. It's amazing, really. I didn't know how hungry they were before, as the women were acting so patient as they cooked, including Ally.

Is that what hunger looks like? Or is that how the family is? They treated their food with such care and then ate it like wild dogs.

Speaking of wild dogs...

Gus trots in with his paws muddy and his fur from his chin down sopping wet. "Gus, no!" I stand and head into the hall closet for a towel to dry off the dog. Gus follows me on my heels. I pull out the towel and start to ruffle his fur with the towel as quickly as I can so I can get back to dinner. I feel insanely rude right now—but I can't have this dog walking around someone else's home like this!

My heart drops to my stomach.

It hurts knowing this isn't our home anymore. Are they going to make Alec and me leave?

When I return to the table, I apologize.

"No worries," Helen says. "We used to have plenty of dogs and cats who had no manners whatsoever! They would wander in and out of the house all day and leave muddy tracks on the linoleum." She laughs sorrowfully to herself. "I miss those tracks.

Alec and I are quiet.

Then the old man speaks up. "Let's get things straightened out now so I can know whether to kick you out after dinner."

"Dad," Helen hisses.

He ignores her. "Start at the beginning."

So we do.