Chapter Five

Alec returns guiding Gus by his broad shoulders into our room. I manage a laugh as the large dog jumps up onto the bed and lies down in the space between where Alec and I sleep. He sets his chin down on my stomach and looks up at me with big black eyes. It's as if the dog knows.

"How are you feeling now?" Alec asks as he sits heavily down on the bed with a dramatic sigh. He swings his legs over and starts petting Gus.

"I—I'm okay," I stutter. I try my best to block out everything Agatha told me, but it's hard when you might be growing a human person inside of you.

Alec kisses me on the cheek and then on the lips. "Hopefully this'll all be over in the morning." He hesitates, and then looks at the door. "Can you believe that this morning we thought the people who lived here before us were dead? Now they're back and they're generously letting us live here. It's an odd turn of events."

I nod. "I'm actually very thankful that they showed up. As much as I love you, Alec, I think I would have gone mad if you and Gus were the only ones I could talk to for the rest of my life."

He chuckles. "You're very right." His smile falters. "I just wish my family would just magically show up one day... I miss them."

I lean into him and rest my head on his shoulder. "Me, too."

Gus gets up and clumsily makes his way to the end of the bed and settles down there. Without a second thought, Alec closes the distance between us as we lie down. I turn into him despite my stomach pains and rest my head on his chest.

I look up at him and offer a smile. It's not strong, but it's genuine. "I love you," I whisper.

Alec kisses my nose. "And I love you."

***

When morning comes, my stomach pain is gone, which gives me relief. However, when Gordon takes Cameron and Alec out to the fields to show them how to really take care of the farm, Agatha and Helen tell me it doesn't mean anything.

"Morning sickness comes and goes, sweetie."

I shoot daggers at Agatha from across the kitchen for telling Helen. She shakes her head with her eyes wide, as if saying, I didn't tell her!

Helen laughs as she cuts up an unidentified meat. "Please, girls. I know a pregnant woman when I see her. I'm surprised you didn't already have a child when we got here. You two have been here for a year by yourselves!"

Kaya scoffs as she puts away clean dishes into the cabinets. I try to ignore that.

Ally runs after Gus in and out of the kitchen as the dog playfully barks.

I let out a long sigh. "I just wish there were a way to know one hundred percent. I don't want to tell Alec anything until I'm sure."

"Unfortunately, no pregnancy tests are around these days unless we go to a community that is actually occupied and still makes them. Anything from before the wars is expired. And missing a period doesn't mean anything out here when you two have barely been eating. We're just going to have to see if you start to show."

"And how long until that would be?"

"Well, considering you are now experiencing morning sickness, you probably conceived about four weeks ago."

My eyes round. Well, thanks for sharing that with everyone, Helen.

Agatha giggles, Ally continues to chase Gus around the kitchen, and Kaya looks disgusted.

"So you should start showing in about a month and a half."

I groan. "That feels like such a long way away, and I don't even know what day of the month it is anymore. I lost track a year ago."

Helen and Agatha laugh. "It's Christmas Eve!" Agatha says.

My jaw drops. "How do you know?"

"Grandpa has a watch that still works, miraculously. It has the date on it," Agatha says with a smile.

A stone seems to settle in my stomach. The last Christmas Alec and I experienced, we were being hauled away as criminals for something we didn't do. I never got to give Alec my gift to him.

I remember the excitement of actually being able to go out and buy a gift for him. I even bought Riah and Chance and Alec's family gifts with what money we had.

Now there is nothing around, and nothing for me to give anyone.

We finish preparing breakfast and then set it out on the table just as Gordon, Cameron, and Alec come back in.

Alec's eyes light up when he looks at me, and that makes the stone in my stomach seem to jump into my throat. This guy may or may not have gotten me pregnant and he has no idea. And, boy, is he going to be mad.

We all sit down at the dinner table as Helen tells everyone what we're eating. I can't pay attention, though. Alec holds my hand in his lap and runs his thumb gently over mine. I stare at our enclosed hands.

Everyone digs in, and I find myself hungrier than I thought. Oh, great. Another symptom.

I hold off on eating as much as I want to so Alec doesn't get suspicious.

After breakfast, Alec looks at me curiously as Helen and Agatha start to pick up the plates. "You okay?" he asks quietly. "You seem a little off."

I force a smile. "I'm fine! Really."

He tries to return my smile, but I know he doesn't buy it.

A/N: Sorry about the short chapter and the long wait! I'm trying to get back into writing more frequently. My life has just gotten super crazy. I transferred to a different college and then got a job, so I'm trying to get back into the groove of things. Don't worry, though! The next chapter should be a lot more interesting than this!