Chapter 5

Anna POV  

I walked to my apartment with bags full of groceries. I unlocked the door and walked in. I shut it and slip my shoes off. I drop my keys off on the table and go to the kitchen. I set the grocery bags on the table and drop my purse on the counter. I start putting stuff away as my phone rings. I sigh and pull it out from my back pocket. I look at the caller and don't recognize it so I hit decline and put it back in my pocket. I continue to put groceries away. Once I finish there's a knock on the door. I freeze.

"This is the local police department!" I bite my lip and slowly walk over. I look through the peep hole and see two officers. I sigh and unlock the door and open it.

"Can I help you officers?" I question making eye contact with the both of them.

"Ms. Kendrick may we come in?" The girl cop asked.

"May I ask for what?"

"There was a complaint filed from your surrounding numbers. There was yelling and they said in the report a lot of things were dropped. Loud thumps," the guy cop responded.
"Yeah. Um... " I couldn't answer. I froze on the spot.

"Ms. Kendrick?" I snapped and looked at them.

"I'm sorry about that. My b- my ex he had too many drinks and went a little crazy. He's no longer here," I say without thinking.

"Can we ask- Did he attack you?" I think of my lip.

"He um.. No. No he didn't." They nod and look at each other.

"What happened to your lip?" The girl questioned. I put my finger on my lip.

"Oh that. I was exercising and fell. Nothing too serious." They both nod.

"Alright. You have a good night Ms. Kendrick." I nod and smile. Both of the cops head off and I shut the door. I lock it and turn around, leaning my back up against the door. I look up at the ceiling and shut my eyes. Instantly I jump at the sound of my phone ringing and buzzing. I pull it out from my pocket and see Brittany's name pop up. I bite my lip and hit answer.

"Hey, Britt."

"Hey, you doing alright?"

"Yep."

"I'm on my way over. Is that okay?" I look around and nod.

"Yeah, yeah. That's um..fine."

"Okay, I'll be there in less than 2 minutes." I hit the end call button and put the phone back in my pocket. I go to my room and open the closest. I slip out of my shirt and put on a fresh one. I go to the bathroom and apply some makeup so I don't look like the living dead. Just as I walk out of my room I hear a knock on the door. I quickly rush to the door and open it up. There I'm met with a child.

"Hi," I say. The child looks up at me. I bend down to get me to her eyes view. "Where's your mommy?" The boy shrugs and walks in. "Um.." I stand up and watch him as he climbs up onto the couch. He turns and sits with his stuffed animal in his hands. I open my mouth to speak, but stop myself. I turn around to shut the door but the door is stopped by a hand.

"Anna," I look and see Brittany who's completely out of breath.

"Britt, you okay?" I question. She nods walking in. She drops her bag and walks to the couch and plops herself right down. I go to the right of her where the little boy is. "Britt." She doesn't answer just stares at the door, trying to catch her breath. "Brittany."

"What?" She turns her head and jumps up out of her seat. She points to the boy. "Wh-Who's that?" I raise my arms up and mouth 'I don't know'. She walks over to the kitchen and I follow her. "Anna, where is there a 2 year old boy in your apartment?"

"I don't know. I opened the door thinking it was you and he was there," I pause and look over at the young boy, who's still sitting on the couch. "I asked where his mom was he shrugged and walked in here like he owned the place." Brittany chuckles. "Brittany, it's not funny."

"Okay, I'm sorry," She pauses and covers her mouth. "Okay, I'm really not sorry. He's the cutest little thing and just walks in owning the place." I roll my eyes and walk into the living room. Brittany follows. Suddenly there's a knock on the door. "I'll watch him." I nod and get the door. I open it and some woman stands there.

"Hi, have you seen a 2 year old anywhere?" She asked. I stepped out of the way and she rushed in. "Benjamin!" I froze. I stare at them. She picks her son up and thanks Brittany. They leave and I still can't move. Brittany comes over and moves my hand off of the door and shuts the door.

"Anna?" I hear her voice, but it sounds so faint. "Anna, you there?" I felt her hands on my arms. Soon I snap out of it being shook to the death. "Anna?"

"S-Sorry. I'm here," I softly speak. Brittany wraps her arms around me. I stand there not knowing what to do. She pulls away noticing. "Two cops stopped by." I couldn't help myself. She stared at me with wide eyes. "They said my neighbors complained about the noise the other night."

"From what happened?" Brittany asked. I nodded. "What did you say?" I look down.

"I don't remember," I say, feeling guilt rise in my stomach. Brittany puts her hands on my cheeks.

"Anna, I think I have an idea," She says. "But you're not going to like it."