Chapter Twenty Nine

Start from the beginning

Laying at the bottom, was my hairbrush.

I looked up at him with a grin. "This is-"

"WHAT is he doing here?!" A loud voice yelled from the top of the stairs.

I looked up to see Jacob fuming, and he marched down to his growing more and more angry.

"What's your problem?" Josh asked, putting his hands on his hips.

Uh oh. Hostile environment.

"My problem, is that not only do you invade my house once, but you come back on Christmas!" Jacob growled, his hands curling into fists. "She doesn't need you prowling around all the time!"

"Who are you, her dad? She can do what she wants," Josh shot back.

I went to slowly back away, but Josh noticed and said, "Don't move, this is about you."

"No, she should leave," Jacob spoke.

"Make her," Josh invited.

"Both of you, STOP!" I shouted.

They froze and turned to look at me.

"It's Christmas," I protested. They immediately went back to ignoring me. I'll admit, it was a bad argument even for me.

"Why do you always keep her on lockdown? You're not her parents!" Josh said angrily.

"None of your beeswax!" Jacob yelled, loosing his patience.

"I'm about to make it my business," Josh said darkly.

"Do your worst."

I held up my hands. "Now, let's all just calm down and-"

Bam.

Josh's fist slammed into Jacob's face, clearly not heeding my advice.

A small gasp escaped me as Jacob began to chuckle lowly. "You have no idea who you've just messed with."

Suddenly, he came at Josh with speed I didn't know was possible, taking both of us by surprise.

He slammed Josh into the wall, and lifted him up so that his feet weren't touching the ground.

Josh spluttered, flailing.

"I'll go easy on you this time," Jacob forced out through gritted teeth, "But never come into my house again."

Then he let go.

Before the fight could escalate, I quickly stepped in between them.

But I was too late.

Jacob has already swung his fist back, and when I got in front of him, it was me that got hit in the face.

My head snapped backward, the impact sending me flying against the wall, where my back was slammed into it, and I fell to my knees.

For a minute, everyone was silent.

No one moved.

With a shaky hand, I lifted my fingers up to inspect my nose.

I couldn't feel any pain, but something felt... off. Wrong.

My nose felt crooked.

As if my movement was released him from a spell, Jacob dashed towards me.

"Ale, I'm so sorry, I was just-"

I held a hand out in front of me to stop him from getting to close, and his sentence ended abruptly.

I moved my fingers down to inspect my cheek, where a little pain blossomed to the touch.

And dull burning began in my nose as the shock wore off.

Josh seemed like a fish out of water. He kept glancing from Jacob to me, and back again.

Finally, he straightened up and said, "I'm outta here."

And he left.

I stayed where I was on the floor, staring at the spot where Josh stood a couple seconds ago.

Jacob looked like he was in more pain than I was, which was unlikely, and we stayed in these positions until Carson walked into the room from the kitchen, whistling.

When he noticed us, however, his whistle faded away. "What happened here?"

Jacob was silent, still staring at me, and I slowly stretched one hand out to brace it in the wall, and stood up.

My mind felt a bit fuzzy from hitting the wall, maybe a concussion, so I simply said, "Jacob."

"Jacob," Carson sighed heavily, sounding sorry for him.

Jacob gave no indication that he had heard him, only continued to stare at me.

Hayley was wrong. Christmases really did suck for me.

And that's when I made a split-second decision.

When Carson went out of the room, probably going for bandages, I made a run for it.

Jacob made no sound as I sprinted out the door, pushing my legs to go as fast as they could.

I'm sorry Hayley, for leaving without you. But I can't do it anymore.

I need to leave.