Chapter 28: Telling and disaster

Chapter 28

Katniss P.O.V.

After my little incident at the carnival the others forced me to go see a doctor. Now I know what's wrong with me, but I haven't told anyone yet.

I want the first person to be Peeta, but it can't. Because I don't know when I can Skype with him again. So I've decided to tell his mother first of all.

As I walk down the road to the bakery, I see people staring at me. Yeah I'm Peeta Mellark's wife and no one seem to forget that.

It's a sunny afternoon and it's really hot outside. I only wear a light cotton dress that flutters around me as I walk.

When I walk past the playground I hear a child scream. I stop and turn around to see a little girl, maybe five years sit in the sand by the swings, bleeding from her chin. She must have fallen off the swing behind her. People stop to look at her, but no one walks up to her.

It kills me to see the little girl scream like this, so I run up to her.

"Hey sweetheart what happened?" I ask her at the same time I kneel down beside her.

"I-I fell o-off the s-swing and hit my c-chin on this rock", she cries and point at a pretty big rock lying almost buried in the sand.

Who the hell puts a rock in the sand of a playground?

"Where's your mommy?" I ask and stroke her hair.

"At the bakery, I-I asked if I could p-play while s-she went t-there", the girl answers.

Oh.

I open my purse and take out a napkin and my water bottle. I drop a little bit of water on the napkin to dry off the blood. When the blood is gone I can see the cut. It's not very deep, so I don't think it will need stitches. It starts to bleed again so I dry it off again and this time I take up a patch from my purse and put it on her chin. It's a pretty big patch so it covers her whole chin and the cut.

"So sweetheart, you know what? I'm gonna take you to your mommy, because I'm also going to the bakery", I say and she nods.

I put my purse back on my shoulder then I carry up the little girl in my arms.

I walk up to the nearest trashcan and throw down the bloody napkin while I look at our little audience.

"You should be ashamed of yourselves, not one of you wanted to help her, you only stood here and watched while she screamed for help, you disgust me!" I say and then I walk off with the girl.

The little girl has stopped crying and is lying with her head on my shoulder.

"So what's your name sweetheart?" I ask.

"Sabrina", she sobs.

"Oh that's a very beautiful name little lady", I tell her and kiss her forehead. "Does your chin hurt Sabrina?"

"Yes", she sobs.

I stop outside the bakery and open the door. There is only mrs Mellark and another woman who must be Sabrina's mother.

"Um excuse me, are you Sabrina's mother?" I ask and the lady turns around.

"Oh my god Sabrina what happened?" She asks terrified and run up to me and take Sabrina into her own arms.

"She fell off the swing and hit her chin on a rock, I cleaned the cut and put a patch on it", I explain. "And she told me that you were her so I figured that maybe it would be best to bring her here".

Sabrina's mom looks so grateful.

"Oh thank you so much mrs Mellark, thank you so much for your help", she says and take one of my hands in hers.