Chapter 2: Graduation

Chapter 2

Katniss P.O.V.

I haven't left my apartment.

I'm lying in my bed, in the darkness. It has been about four days since Mr. And Mrs. Mellark told me that Peeta wouldn't come home.

He promised me that he would be home to my graduation. He promised me. He wrote me a letter and told me that he would be home in time for my graduation. I don't get letters often from Peeta, because he doesn't have time to write letters. I've gotten a few of them. But I haven't heard his voice in six months. I need him to be here with me.

I open my nightstand drawer and take up the last letter I got from Peeta. I've read it more times than I can count. I don't even think that the number exist. But I still read it again.

"Dear Katniss,

I miss you everyday.

Whenever I feel homesick, I think about how soon I'm going to meet you again. I really wish I could be home, and paint you like I always used to do, or going out in the woods with you and hunt. Not that we used to have any luck, with my loud steps in the woods ;)

My mission is over soon, and I'll be home. I heard about your graduation from mom and dad, they're really proud of you, and so am I. I'm going to be home by then, I don't wanna miss the day that Katniss Everdeen is graduating from College, right? ;) so I promise that I'm going to be home to your graduation. I promise.

Again, I miss you so much and I'm longing to see you.

Love,

Peeta".

See? He did promise me.

I don't think I'm going to my graduation now. I don't want to without Peeta there.

My graduation is suppose to be today, but as I said, I'm not gonna go. I'm just not.

I hear loud banging on the door.

No, I'm not gonna open it.

But I hear some keys and I know it's Madge. I gave her an extra key to my apartment. Right now, I deeply regret that decision.

I her the door open and slam. I hear some light footsteps towards my room, and Madge walks inside.

"Katniss. Out of the bed, into some clothes! You have a graduation to attend", she says.

"No", I say, sitting up.

"What do you mean 'no'?" Madge asks.

"I can't", I say.

"Peeta would want you to go", she reminds me.

That's true. But I want him here. So I guess we both don't get what we want.

"I don't care! Does it seem like I get what I want? He promised me!" I say throwing the letter on her.

She takes the letter and reads it. She get a sad look in her eyes.

She sits down on the bed and wraps her arms around me.

"Katniss... We all miss Peeta, but life goes on, and you need to be on that graduation", she says softly. "Besides, Daniel is already back, Prim is with Mr. and Mrs. Mellark and they're going together to the graduation, your graduation".

"I can't without Peeta there", I whimper.

"Yes you can, because you're strong", Madge says. "So please Katniss, turn on the light and put on a beautiful dress".