Chapter 14: Sweet Rory

Chapter 14

Katniss P.O.V.

I don't want to leave Annie alone with a baby. It feels too harsh, and besides, I did promise Finnick to take care of Annie.

"Annie please move in with me and Prim until the guys are back", I say. "Mine and Peetas bed is so big, bigger than enough for the both of us and for the record you're pretty tiny".

Annie smiles.

"But Fisher screams at night", Annie says. "And I know that I'm pretty tiny".

"I don't care if Fisher screams, and neither does Prim", I say. "She would love to have you live with us, because honestly she will be crushed once I tell her that Peeta has left to Afghanistan. I would break down here and now if it weren't for Prim, I need to take care of her and we have that stupid trial to go to as well, but Peeta should be there".

Annie looks confused and I sigh.

Madge helps me explain to Annie what has been going on for so long. But to get Annie to understand why I took Prim away from our own mother, we had to go back all the way to when I was sixteen.

Once our story is finished, Annie looks sad.

"Oh Katniss I'm so sorry", she says.

"Don't be", I say. "I just wanted Peeta there, but he can't, I would love to have you there as a support though".

"Of course I'll be there, and Fisher too", she says.

"Please move in", I beg.

Annie looks at me for a second.

"Okay", she says and I hug her, but only carefully because she still has Fisher in the baby carrier on her chest.

"Peeta promised to Skype me tonight", I say. "Maybe Finnick can do that with him so we both can see our boys".

"That would be wonderful", Annie says.

I feel like I already have a strong bond to Annie and I've known her for about an hour.

But there's something about Annie that makes me like her.

We all drive back to my apartment where Prim and Rue are.

"Katniss!" Prim shouts. "Where were you and where's Peeta?"

They run up to us.

"Prim... Peeta's left for Afghanistan, he had no other choice", I say.

Prim looks at me for a second, trying to find out if I'm lying or not. But she knows all too well when I'm lying. I'm not lying this time. And she knows it.

"No..." She whines. "No Peeta!"

I take her in my arms. Prim is the only thing that keeps me sane. If I didn't have to take care of her, I would have a breakdown this moment. But I can't. Not if I wanna win the trial.

And I have to win the trial. For Prim. She and Peeta are my only joy in life. I can't keep Peeta safe, but I can keep Prim safe. And that's what Peeta wants me to do.

"Katniss?" Prim sobs.

"Yes little duck?" I ask.

"What's that on your hand?" She asks.

"He purposed to her Primmy!" Madge shouts happily.

"He did what?!" Prim shouts, looking up at me.

"He purposed to me", I say with a sad smile. "And Prim, my friend Annie is going to live with us, she and her newborn baby Fisher, her husband is a friend of Peeta's and also a soldier that had to leave as well".

Prim turns to Annie and smiles.

"Hello Annie, I'm Primrose, but almost everyone call me Prim, besides Katniss and her friends they call me Primmy but Katniss calls me little duck", she babbles. "I had one accident and than I'm stuck for life with that nickname I tell you".

"What accident", Annie asks, suddenly in a better mood.

It's obvious that Prim has lightened her mood very much. Prim has that effect on people. Even me.

"Well I accidentally forgot to tuck in my shirt under my skirt and it stuck out making it look like a duck tail", Prim sighs. "And ever since, that has been my nickname, because Katniss came up to me and tucked in my shirt saying; 'you better tuck in that tail little duck'".

She doesn't pull off my voice very well, so everyone only laughs at her.

"Oh Prim you're such a drama queen", I hear an unfamiliar voice.

I look to the side and see an younger version of Gale. This can only be Rory or Gale in younger age.

"Oh my god! Rory I didn't see you there", I say.

He laughs. God he has changed so much. First of all his voice. I mean what the hell happened to it? It sounded so cute and pure before. Now it sounds ... Manly, almost like Gales.

"Rory what are you doing here?" Gale asks his younger brother.

"Hanging out with my long lost friends", he says dramatically, causing Prim and Rue to laugh. But than he looks at me. "I hope it's okay, Katniss".

"Of course it is", I say.

"Can I talk to you in private?" Rory asks me and blushes.

I raise my eyebrows.

"Uhm... Sure", I say and follow him into the kitchen.

On the way I see the others look at me with raised eyebrows.

Rory stands by the sink and looks worried.

"What's wrong Rory?" I ask.

"Uhm... I was wondering..." He says but doesn't seem to get out another word.

"Hey sweetie, you don't need to feel embarrassed, just say want you wanted", I say to him.

"Well, I was wondering... If she wants to, can I ask Primmy out on a date?" And now his cheeks must be overheated. Oh god. I've never seen any cheeks this red.

But I just smile like a dork. He wants my permission to ask Prim out on a date. He likes her?

"You like her?" I ask.

He nods and looks down at the floor.

"Yeah always have, even when we lived in France", he says. "And now when I saw her, I just ... I couldn't stop smiling and I laugh at everything she says, she's so beautiful and she's just so wonderful and amazing".

Aw. I feel like my heart is going to melt. He really does like her.

"Ask her out Rory, I would be mad if you didn't, it's obvious you like her", I say, and he smiles shyly.

"Thank you Katniss", he says and hugs me.

I hug him back. He's so sweet. Prim couldn't ask for a better guy than this one. He doesn't only respect her, but he respect me enough to ask me if it's okay if he asks Prim out.

"Come one, the others will start wondering where we went", I chuckle and take Rory's hand and leads him out to the others again.

❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

✏️1136✏️

Hey you guys, sorry that it took so long but you guys showed a lot of interest in my story I didn't think anyone could live me - but then he was there. So I thought it was fun to update that one more then usual :)

Anyways what did you think about this chapter?

I really wanna know what you guys thought so please tell me :)

Please vote and comment to tell me what you guys thought :D

-Josephine xx