Chapter 3: Gone for too long

Chapter 3

Peeta's P.O.V.

I have Katniss lips against mine. At first I was startled, I never could imagine this happen. But now her lips are onto mine.

I love the feeling I get through my body from her lips.

I was suppose to tell her that I like her, no, no that I love her, but I never got the chance before she kissed me.

Her legs are still locked around my waist, and it seems as if she doesn't want to let go. And I don't want her to, I really don't. I don't want to let her go either.

Soon she just hugs me and has her head on my shoulder. We shouldn't be standing here still, so I walk up to the principal and shakes hand with him. But when I'm about to let go, he doesn't.

I put down Katniss onto the stage floor again but she clings onto my arm, as if she's afraid that I'll disappear if she lets go.

I called the principal and begged him to put Katniss last in line, so I could surprise her without ruining the whole ceremony. He said that he would, he was just glad that he could bring Katniss some happiness, because apparently she hasn't been very happy, actually the complete opposite. He told me about many meetings with Katniss where he has asked and asked if he can do something to make her feel better. But that doesn't seem like my Katniss. She was always happy. Always. But now they tell me she's never happy. That doesn't make sense to me at all.

"Can I ask the family Mellark to join us up here please?" The principal asks.

I look down to the audience and can see the members of my family, hurrying up to us.

I didn't tell them that I would come home today, because I didn't even know yesterday myself.

I'm suppose to stay now. But I don't know, if I get a callback, I need to leave again, so I really need to take care of this time I have with my family and with Katniss.

I don't understand why the principal is keeping me up here though. Why not just let us walk down?

Suddenly I feel myself being wrapped in a women's embrace and I know that my mothers arms reached me first.

"Oh Peeta! We've missed you so much sweetheart", she cries.

I don't feel like taking this here up on the stage.

"Can we get down from here?" I ask.

They start to drag me down from the stage.

"Katniss, come here, you need to take that off", I hear a voice say, which I recognize as Madge.

Turn my head to look at Katniss. She has stopped crying. Madge starts to drag her away.

I want to scream. I don't want Katniss to leave, but I bite back the scream, because I know that she'll be back soon.

Everyone seems to want to let us have some privacy so they all start to leave. The ceremony is over anyway, so there's no need to stay.

I feel my mothers tears drop down on my shirt. I'm a lot taller than her. My brothers and I are all very tall actually.

"No mom, don't cry", I beg.

"I can't help it Peeta, I've missed my baby so much", she cries, stroking my cheek.

Well, I'm used to being called a baby. I'm the youngest in the family. The baby of the family. Rye is seven years older than me, and Daniel is five years older than me.

That's why I joined the army. I wanted to show everyone that I'm more than a smart kid and the baby of a family. That I'm strong. And that I'm good at things. I really am. But I've never really had a chance to show what I can do.