Chapter 4: I love you

Chapter 4

Katniss P.O.V.

Even though I don't let go of Peeta's hand, I don't say anything either.

I'm still too shocked to get anything out of me.

Right now we're sitting in a restaurant, looking in the menus.

A young man comes up to our table. That's weird. We don't know him. Or ... Do we?

"Are you Peeta Mellark?" The man asks looking at Peeta.

I raise my eyebrows, looking at Peeta who nods.

"You're the whole Panems hero dude!" The man bursts out.

Peeta's face gets a red color.

"Can we have a dinner by ourselves withouth people coming up and start talking to Peeta?!" I ask the man rudely.

He rolls his eyes and leaves.

Peeta looks at me. Oh great. Now I feel bad about that.

"Hey Katniss? Can I talk to you for a second?" He asks.

I put down the menu and nod.

Peeta takes my hand and leads me out of the restaurant.

I lean against the building, looking at Peeta. I see all that perfection in one face.

Oh what was I thinking? He would never go out with someone like me. I mean why would he, when he can get any girl he wants?

"Katniss... What's wrong?" Peeta asks.

"What's wrong?" I repeat. Can't he figure that out by himself? He's not stupid. In fact, he is super smart. I know that he knows what's wrong. "Can't you figure that out?" I ask, looking at the ground. "Well... Maybe you can't after all. You were gone for six months. Maybe I've changed too much".

Peeta puts his hand under my chin and lifts it, forcing me to look at him. I look him into his blue eyes, and I feel the urge to start crying. What if I wouldn't have been able to look into them anymore. What if he died out there in Afghanistan.

"I'm here now Katniss", he says softly. "But you're right. You have changed. You're not the Katniss I remember". I just look at him. I think I know what he's referring to. But I keep my mouth shut. "You were always happy", Peeta says. "But now everyone's telling me that you're in a dark place, that you're always sad and never happy and ive started to notice what they mean".

I can't keep my mouth shut anymore. I stand up straight in front of him.

"Only when you're away from me", I say.

Peeta says nothing. He just looks at me. He's so handsome. He has always been. Girls has always drooled all over him. He hasn't shown interest in them though. I was always wondering why, and I still am.

"I should have told you this like six months ago, but you told me that you were leaving for Afghanistan and I figured that it wouldn't have made any difference", I say.

"Wait Katniss, I ..." Peeta says and swallows hard. "If anything I should've told you this way earlier. Ever since we were five and I heard you sing for the first time, I've been so deeply in love with you".

Wait what? For real?

"For real?" I ask.

Peeta chuckles.

"Yeah", he says.

"Peeta... I love you", I say.

I lock my arms around his chest and hug him. I just love the feeling of Peeta's living body against mine. Knowing that the blood in his veins are still flowing.

Why didn't he tell me earlier? Maybe everything would've been different.

I look up at him again and his lips are gently placed onto mine. Oh the feeling I get from his lips can't be described in words. It really can't. This day is the first I've ever kissed him. Or well... No. There was one time when we were ten. But that was truth or dare. And we were kids. That was ten years ago, so it doesn't even count. Or maybe it did for him though now when I think about it. Oh Peeta.

"I wish I would've told you sooner", Peeta whispers with his lips still touching mine.

"Me too", I whisper. Because I really do. Everything could have been different.

We stand here for another ten minutes, before I remember everyone else who are still sitting inside the restaurant.

"We should probably get back", I say.

Peeta starts to laugh.

"Hehe oops", he says and shrugs, causing me to laugh.

"I've missed hearing your laugh", Peeta says.

That evening I actually have a really great time. I haven't been this happy for so long. I haven't had room inside of me for happiness. I've just been worried and sad. But now Peeta is home and I'm happy again.

I know very well that Peeta can get a callback anytime. I don't want to think about that though. I want to take care of the time we do have together.

Prim is going to sleep at Daniel and Julia's. They came up with that yesterday, because I was still in a really bad place. And now she could sleep at my place, but Daniel said that it's fine for Prim to stay at his and Julia's.

So it ends up with Peeta following me home. And me not letting him walk away.

If I let him out of sight he might disappear forever.

Or would he? Am I just paranoid?

❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

✏️884 words✏️

Is Katniss just paranoid?

I'm sorry this chapter was crappy, but the next one is going to be better :)

Even though this chapter sucked, please do tell me what you thought about it ;)

Please vote and comment, I would really appreciate that :)

-Josephine xx