Chapter 18 - Lynn

Start from the beginning

"Oh, I know that," he interrupts, earning a look of surprise from me. "In fact, I think your intentions are quite the opposite."

"How so?"

A cruel smile parts his lips, his teeth gleaming viciously at me as he lets the truth out. "I think you are trying to woo me." He throws the term at me as if it's poisonous. "You like it when people have to depend on you. You like to be the pillar that people rely on. The fact that I suspect you have romantic feelings for me just gives you all the more motive. I think you like me and you're hurt that I feel nothing for you, so you're trying to weasel your way into my life in hopes of showing your true colors and magically making me fall for you." He looks so proud of himself that I can't help but wipe that smug smile off his face.

"True," I agree, not even bothering to hide my feelings. "I do like you. Big deal. You think I'm going to use your vulnerability as a way of coaxing you into liking me back?" I'm disgusted with the very thought and I'm sure Jamie can see that on my face. "The truth is, you don't really know me anymore. I'd never use someone else's weakness for my own gain. I just thought you could use a friend. I'm not out to ruin you or to cause you more guilt, and I'm most certainly not trying to save you."

"So you pity me?" He spits the words out with distaste, his brows creasing in contained rage.

"Of course!" I nearly yell the words at him. "How could I not? You're missing a leg and a boy is dead. To not pity you would be to have a heart of stone. That doesn't mean I'm going to treat you any differently, but yes, I'm sorry for what you're going through. I just hoped you'd let me in. I'd like it if you gave me a chance." My words soften as I glance up at Jamie. He looks taken aback by my lack of a filter. I don't always tell people what they want to hear, but I'm pretty good at being honest and telling them what they need to hear.

The silence stretches between us as we continue to watch each other. I'm tempted to drop my gaze and walk away, but then he speaks.

"They left," he says, his shoulders slumping inwards as he shoves another puff into his mouth. He chews for a moment before looking up at me. "They were feeling pizza today."

"So they just ditched you?" I can't hide the disapproval from my tone.

Jamie notices and does his best to defend his friends. "I told them to go. I don't want to be the guy who holds my friend's back from having fun."

"Why didn't you just go with them?" I ask, my curiosity on full display.

He drops his eyes to the table before shrugging. "I don't know." All resentment towards me seems to have been forgotten as Jamie realizes his own hurt. I can see it on his face. Where I'm pretty decent at keeping my emotions in check, Jamie is not. "I just didn't want to slow them down, I guess."

"Right." There's obvious doubt in my response, but Jamie doesn't seem bothered by it. "Well," I start to say, "you can always sit with me and my friends. We eat in the gym every Tuesday and Thursday, but every other day we eat lunch over there." I point towards our table and he turns slightly to follow my finger.

He nods once, his attitude sullen. I feel my heart crack for the damaged boy in front of me. I want so badly to just erase his pain, but I sense he'd never allow it. I just hate watching people suffer. As much as he hates the guilt, he's got too much pride to hand it over to someone else. Which is why my offer is so hard for him to accept. His idea of me coming to the rescue indicates he needs help and he doesn't want it.

We've got a long way to go, but I sense a breakthrough today. Jamie is no longer pushing me away. He's not exactly letting me in either, but he seems content to just let me be. Maybe I've exhausted him into acceptance. I'll take that as success.

Tender (Book 1 - Complete)On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara