Part 39 - 4th August 1970

Start from the beginning

"Please Rose, just take the boys for me. I'll ring you when it's OK to come home."

Nodding , Rose left the room. Moments later Lucy appeared.

"What's the matter? Why have you told Rose to take the boys out?"

Paul looked at his wife. She was still beautiful, even more so now that the swell of her stomach declaring a new baby was becoming more obvious. He thought of the envelope in his hand and then the baby she was carrying. The realization hit him hard.

"Sit down Lucy. I need to talk to you."

"OK." Lucy sat down, "Paul, you look dreadful! What's happened?"

"I'm hoping you'll be able to explain that to me."

"Oh?"

Paul placed the envelope on the table. "A friend rang me this morning with some information. At first I didn't believe him so he brought me this Lucy."

Lucy glanced at the envelope then looked back at Paul. "What is it?"

"Open it."

"Paul love..."

"JUST OPEN THE FUCKING ENVELOPE!"

Lucy jumped, suddenly very afraid by his sudden loud and angry outburst. She picked up the envelope and looked inside. Trembling, she put her fingers inside and pulled out a photograph.

"What is it?"

"LOOK AT IT!"

Her hand shaking, Lucy turned the photograph over. "Where did this come from?" she whispered, terrified, "It's not what it looks like Paul!"

"Really?" The sarcasm dripped from his tongue and he sneered at her, "From where I'm sitting it looks very much like my wife kissing another man. What do you see Lucy?"

"I am kissing someone but as a friend! Paul please! I can explain!"

"TOO FUCKING RIGHT YOU'D BETTER EXPLAIN!"

Lucy shrank back. Angry Paul always terrified her.

"Is it mine?"

"What?"

"The baby you're carrying. Is it mine!" His voice was now quiet and calm. Too calm!

"Of course it's yours!" Lucy cried, "Paul, when have I had time to meet up with anyone else?!"

"Well clearly you found some time Lucy or this picture wouldn't exist!" He growled through clenched teeth, "Who is it?"

"Paul, I haven't..."

Paul jumped to his feet. "WHO. IS. IT?" He banged on the table with his tightly clenched fist to accentuate each word.

"A friend. But it's harmless! There's nothing going on!"

"LIAR! YOU LYING BITCH!" Paul threw his chair across the kitchen, "If you're gonna fuck other men Lucy, at least have the guts to admit it!"

"I HAVEN'T!"

Paul swung around and slapped Lucy hard across the face. "DON'T LIE!" He roared!

Sobbing, Lucy fled from the room.

An hour later the phone rang.

"Paul, it's Rose. The boys are very fractious. Can I bring them home?"

"Sure."

Paul took the pram from Rose in the street. "Have the rest of the evening off Rose." He handed her some money, "Here, go have some fun with Daniel. Don't worry about coming back here until tomorrow! My treat!"