"Jazz kids!"

As the large bus pulled into the school's car park, the kids quickly began to bustle about. Standing and talking loudly amongst themselves. John Watson, however, continued to sit peacefully in his seat. Nobody sat with him, but it's not like he'd wanted anyone to. Even though he was an important part of the school's Jazz band, John never really made friends with the other kids in the groups.
    It wasn't because he didn't try. It was because they were just too intent on making fun of him. John was born without any mark relating to a soulmate. John found it unfair that a person he'll never meet defined his entire life.

    But, it didn't make him all that different fro the rest of his family, to be honest. His father had died, a workplace accident, a few years after John was born, and his mother resorted to the bottle to feel better. John was taken from the home and placed with a wonderful woman named Nelissa. John called her Aunt 'Nissa. She hadn't found her soulmate yet, but it was known that she had one somewhere in the world.
    John also had an older sister, Harry. She met her soulmate, Clara in uni. But, Clara was accepted into a space program and left to see the stars with a bunch of doctors in the cosmos. She hasn't returned yet, and Harry's beginning to lose hope for her. Harry still lived with John's mother, but she visited Nelissa and John quite often. Today would be one of those days.

    John had never experienced a loss like that, so whenever Harry called him up at night to rant with slurred speech, John just let her go off about it. He assumed his mother wasn't going to listen if she was in the exact same state most nights. John sometimes thought about how lucky he was to not have to go through something that devastating.

    John stood from his seat, the last one off the bus. He carried his Clarinet case with him into the building. The group had made it back for lunch, which was pleasing to almost everyone in the band. John went to a simple state school in central London. It was close to where Aunt 'Nissa lived, so often times John enjoyed walking home by himself.
    As John was maliciously tripped just before the large double doors and laughed at as he fell, John realised that this was not one of those days A boy bent down and quickly snatched John's clarinet case from him and tossed it to another, who was already inside of the building.
    The kids laughed as John sat up on his heels, watching helplessly as they locked him out of the building and left with his clarinet. John banged on the door, hoping for someone to see him and let him in. "C'mon!" John grunted as he shook the doors' handles, hoping they'd open. eventually, the music instructor, Mr P,  opened the door, just a few minutes shy of John beginning to panic.

    "John? what are you doing out here? Everyone's gone to lunch already," The larger man asked, concerned. Mr P had been a fatherly-figure to John since he'd first joined jazz band. He dealt with John's lack of finances graciously, allowing him to go on large trips in exchange for his commitment to playing at events. "Didn't you have your clarinet?" He questioned, then sucked his teeth, realizing that the kids had taken it from him once again. John remained quiet until Mr P helped him stand and offered for John to stay in the band room to eat lunch. Many other kids did it often, so it wasn't like it made John feel uncomfortable.
    Mr P was a lot of kids' favourite instructor when it came to this small state school. He was a lot more lenient on certain things that most wouldn't have been. John had remembered the panic that ensued when Mr P had casually asked a student to hand him their pocket knife to open a box, then complimented it after! John often looked up to this man as he treated John as if he would teach any other student of his.

    "You got a minute after practice, John?" The question came the day after. John had retrieved his clarinet, but it wasn't the same. It had been written on in bright markers, and its mouth-piece had been beaten into a bent position. It was stuck, which made it difficult to clean. John was going to get another from the local music shoppe after school before going to rugby practice.
    There was a girl who does cheer for John's team that he really wanted to talk to for a long time. One day as they were in a practice match, John saw the girl respond to the name Mary. Man, was she pretty. She was blonde, like John, but her eyes were so intriguing. She'd actually caught John staring a few times, which was embarrassing. If John was late to practice today, would she even notice? John nodded to Mr P and did his best with the broken material he had. It was such a shame, too. John loved this clarinet!