[Official] Epilogue

Nine months later

I tilt my head to the side, gazing out the window unable to hold back the thought slipping into my mind. The firmament is dark, exploding into small flecks of white covering the dark oasis like a thick layer with only the moon serving to bask the trees with its white radiance. I hear a knock on my door but I choose to ignore it.

Another night I wake up to the same nightmare. Another night I spend countless hours awake, afraid to see him again in my sleep. Another night to grieve of what I lost despite how useless it is now; I never got to see them again. I bet they already know she's dead and if William knows who my father is then he's probably blaming me.

I bet everyone is blaming me of her death. They should. I blame myself every day. "Matt, it's late. What are you doing awake?" My father slips into my room like he does every other night when he isn't busy doing his business. I don't bother asking what he does, I rather keep as far as I can from him and try to be normal. Or close to it.

All I find myself doing is attending a different college. Much more private and in a completely different state from where I lived. If I'm not studying I'm running around the track or out hunting in the woods to keep my mind off things. "I couldn't sleep again." I answer monotonously.

After that day he kept on like he did nothing wrong. He smiled, he laughed, he tried to buy me gifts and take me out but every time he did I rejected it. I burned his gifts, I didn't go out with him, I avoided him like the plague but in the end, I just gave up altogether. He came to me one day and sat me down, he talked about it.

He doesn't regret killing Neil. I understand Neil tried to kill him before except it doesn't justify anything, I cared about Neil. I loved Neil. The only thing he admits to regret was killing Olivia, "Did you take the pill?"

I sigh, "I did. It's not working anymore." I answer. The cool breeze kissing my skin as I refuse to look at him. If I look at him I'll break down again. I'll be haunted again by the thought of how I'm living with the killer of Neil, of my aunt. It's not like I have anywhere to go or to escape to.

I can't bring myself to hate him entirely and at the same time I can't forgive him, I don't know if I ever will. Spending all these months with him, I've see different sides of him. A side of him I've seen when I was a kid and a side of him I've seen that day; I hate myself for being weak. For still holding on to the memory of him when I didn't know what he was capable of, when I didn't know how much of a monster he is.

"I'll make an appointment for you and see what else the doctor can do for you. For now, go back to bed. I don't want you staying up too late." I don't respond, still trying to wrap my head around the fact how he acts like a caring father and all at once he can be a merciless killer. I hear him close the door behind him leaving me to drown in a pool of grief and pain.

I rub my eye yawning slightly as I walk out of the classroom; having to take my lectures in the morning is a pain in the ass but this is the only chance I have to get some sort of normalcy in my life. This is the only escape I have to reality I can come to. I make my way through the corridors past other students until I reach the exit which isn't that far.

The black vehicle with tinted windows waits for me out front like every day, I jump into the vehicle already used to the stares and close the door. I shrug off the bag placing it at my feet, taking the gun beside me, "What's the occasion this time?" I ask in a knowing tone. The only time I see this gun in the car is when something is going on—which no one tells me what happened—and I have to prepare myself as a precaution.

"The mansion has been bombed. No worries, Roman is alive." I don't know if I should feel relieved or disappointed, so I decide to shove it in the 'I don't care' zone. I check the gun making sure the magazine is loaded and if it works properly enough for me. The car begins to move, I hold onto the gun as I gaze out the window in silence.