Chapter 6: Another Interruption

*original pic is not mine, I just edited it*

.....................................................................

Chapter 6
Another Interruption

The next day we are interrupted again but, this time, it isn't Phun's maybe-sort of-but possibly not fiancee. In the middle of finalizing the plans for our business trip, the heavy door to his office is thrown open and an older gentleman with gray touching his neatly styled black hair and a dignified air walks in like he owns the place. There's no announcement or forewarning or harried secretary chasing after him. He simply walks in with confidence and lets the door shut behind him.

Turning back to Phun, I expect to see irritation or anger at this forward behavior but I see neither. His eyes widen in what looks like panic for a split second before his calm mask covers any emotions he might be having. I would have missed it if I didn't know him so well. The chair scrapes the floor as he pushes away from the desk and stands up. When he gives the man a respectful wai in greeting, I follow his example even though I'm still very confused. Who the hell is this that can make Phun practically quake in their boots?

Neither say a word as they walk over to sit in the comfortable chairs by the window. I'm not sure if I should follow them or stay where I am or make a break for the door to escape the tense atmosphere. Deciding that it might be better to give them some privacy, I head for the door but pause before opening it to look back at the two silent men.

"Would either of you care for something to drink or eat? I can fetch it for you," I manage to say after gathering a bit of courage.

"Chailai is already taking care of that. You may leave," the older man orders flatly without looking at me but I automatically bow anyway in response. He is an elder.

"Noh, you can stay. This shouldn't take long and we still need to go over the final details," Phun counters the order and the look he gives tells me not to argue. Whoever the other guy is, Phun is still my boss so I step away from the door. "Father, this is my assistant, Noh. Noh, this is my father, Niran Phumipat."

"This is family business, son. Your assistant doesn't need to hear this." He accepts my wai of respect but the tone the man uses sets my teeth on edge. I remind myself that this is Phun's father and I need to keep my cool.

"Father, it's fine." Phun countermands again. He looks me in the eyes and gestures back to the desk. "Sit back down, Noh."

I follow Phun's order while eyeing the other man curiously out of the corner of my eye. There isn't much similarity between the two to indicate that they are father and son, maybe a bit around the eyes and their air of confidence. His father is obviously not pleased with Phun going against him in front of me but doesn't say anything further about it.

"I heard from Khun Atid that his daughter was acting out of sorts after her visit with you. She has always been a very calm and obedient girl. What did you say to her, Phun?" Khun Niran's voice is rife with frustration and I could see the crease in his brow even from across the room. The conversation between Phun and Khun Aim is still crystal clear in my mind and I can understand why the girl might be second guessing her parents' choices for her. Apparently, she is giving Phun's parting advice some serious thought.