Ch 2: Sooth the Savage Beast

Chapter 2: Sooth the Savage Beast

Flashing lights and thumping music fills the club. A thin haze of smoke swirls through the air from fog machines near the stage giving everything a dream-like quality as bodies rock and sway together on the dance floor. In the VIP section, there is a bit more room to breathe but it's no less lively. Phun's lone figure still sits at the corner table sipping bourbon, ignoring most of the activity around him. A few people, who had been attracted by his handsome face, try to flirt with him only to hurry away after one of his piercing glares. He's left alone with his foul mood.

A trill from the drums after the song ends gets everyone's attention, including Phun's who looks up from contemplating the bottom of his glass. A lanky guy with shaggy straight black hair flashes a toothy grin while standing in the center of the stage under a spotlight. He holds up his hands in greeting, then brings the mic to his lips to speak.

"Everyone having fun?" The crowd screams in response but he doesn't seem satisfied with it. "I'm not sure I heard you. This isn't your parent's house, kids. Let me hear you! IS EVERYONE HAVING FUN?"

The crowd screams even louder with whistles and hoots. This response makes the guy laugh and he raises a hand to quiet them down again. As he lets the silence wash over the room, his smile turns a bit mischievous. Even Phun's curiosity is peaked by it.

"I have a special treat for all you good boys and girls. There's a guy here today who was once called the Golden Voice of Friday. He's the ex-President of the Music Club and my good friend, Noh Nawahindakarn!" A spotlight suddenly separates from the stage and whirls out into the crowd, landing on an individual at a table off to one side. From where Phun sits, he has a clear view of a boyishly beautiful face staring slack-jawed up at the stage. The guy's eyes narrow and he rubs a hand through his thick, short black hair.

"Film, what the fuck? When did I agree to this?!" Noh yells over to the guy on the stage, easily heard in the nearly silent room. A wave of laughter from those present follows his outburst.

"Looks like he needs a little convincing, people. Make some noise!" Film raises a fist into the air and shouts with the rest of the crowd before lowering it to settle everyone down again. "The people have spoken, Noh. Time to get up here and give 'em what they want."

"Fine. Fine." Getting shoved towards the stage by the guys at his table, Noh gives in. Phun sits up straighter as he watches the tall lanky form dressed in dark jeans, a white button-down that's open at the collar, jean jacket, and black boots hop up on the stage. The man's voice has a strangely soothing effect on him when he speaks closer to the mic. "You know I don't have anything prepared. What the hell am I gonna sing?"

"We've got you covered, bro. You're gonna slay a few hearts tonight." Leaning forward, Film whispers something into the guy's ear, who rolls his eyes but nods in understanding. They go have a quick conversation with the rest of the band, who also nod in agreement.