Chapter 5: (Un)Engaged

SECRET HEARTChapter 5: (Un)Engaged

SECRET HEART
Chapter 5: (Un)Engaged

A buzz from the phone sitting on the corner of the desk interrupts our discussion about the upcoming business trip. Still eyeing the tentative itinerary, Phun picks up the receiver with a distracted greeting. Whatever is said after that does not seem to please my boss. The papers in his hand crush under his grip and a frown mars his handsome face.

"Yes, I understand. Please let her in as soon as she arrives." He hangs up the phone and drops the papers onto the desktop. 

Standing up, Phun walks over to the large glass wall and looks out at the storm brewing outside. We had been so busy all morning that I didn't notice the weather changing. Large black clouds loom overhead bombarding the windows with fat raindrops. The sound, muted by the thick panes of glass, is like a thousand drums beating in the distance. The frown on his face deepens as the minutes tick by.

"Phun..." I call him back to the desk to continue our work and distract him from whatever thoughts are plaguing him but a sharp knock on the door stops me.

"Come in." Phun's gruff order surprises me. I've never heard him speak like that to Aunt Chailai before. He doesn't even turn around when the door opens and the lady herself appears inside.

"Your guest has arrived, Khun Phun." Unpreturbed by Phun's attitude, as if she was expecting it, Auntie nods her head and steps to the side to let another person into the room. "If you need anything else, please let me know."

Aunt Chailai leaves, shutting the door firmly and leaving the newcomer behind. She's beautiful, beyond beautiful. Thick black hair cascades down her back, the sides pinned up with sparkling silver combs. She has wide eyes framed with long lashes and full, cherry red lips that are neither smiling nor frowning. A long navy dress that perfectly hugs the curves of her body is low cut to show off the single sapphire pendant hanging from her slim neck. I might even go so far as to say that this woman is perfect but, for some reason, she makes me feel uncomfortable and cold.

"Hello, Khun Phun." This stunning creature's voice is smooth and soft but sounds a bit strange, as if she is simply practicing lines from a play. What's stranger is Phun's lack of reaction to her. He barely even glances her way in acknowledgement of her greeting.

"Please have a seat." With a wave of his hand, Phun directs her over to the guest chairs next to where he's standing. They both stiffly sit down across from each other but say nothing further.

"I'll leave you to your guest, Khun Phun. We can finish our discussion later." Not able to stand this weird awkwardness any longer, I stand up to make a quick getaway. Unfortunately, Phun has other plans for me.

"Noh, there's no need to leave. Come sit over here. Let me introduce you." This is clearly not a request. It is a demand that must be obeyed, so I do as I am told wondering why I have an overwhelming feeling of foreboding.