Chapter 9: Panic

Sweat trickled down their faces. Their rapid heartbeats are the only sound they can hear. Their head throbbing like crazy.

What's happening...?

What's going to happen??

What did Hiroto do?!

This is so stupid! I shouldn't have followed these freaks!

I still don't want to die!

Stupid Hiroto!!!

These are the thoughts of almost every member in the event. Panic is dwelling inside them all. The groans and the grinding of teeth became more and more loud, making them all anxious and crazy. Hiroto kept his guard up as he pushed the crowd behind him deeper down to the shadows. He gripped his weapon tightly as if his life depended upon it. Well, it did depend on it. Sloppy footsteps are overflowing their eardrums. Hiroto's sweating became more aggressive.

[Hiroto's PoV:]

I couldn't think. I don't know what to do. I can't just lunge forward the infected. It's not just risky, it'll cost my life and the group's.

Think. Think. Think...!!

I was awaken out of my trance when I felt a shivering tap on my shoulder.

"H-Hiroto-san..." Kogure said in a shaking, scared voice as he pointed the direction in front of us.

Somewhere inside me, I knew what it was. But I didn't want to believe it. I slowly turned my head in front of me. My eyes widened, not because I was shocked, but because I haven't thought of a plan yet and the infected was already standing in front of us. I can hear their scared shrieks behind me. I was scared... Did I risk my friends' lives?!

[Third Person's PoV:]

Hiroto looked down, hope is slowly fading from him. The people behind him kept shaking him, asking him to do something about it. But Hiroto was completely hopeless. He let go of the bat and accepted his supposed fate.

The infected groaned and gave them a smug look as it slowly ran towards them.

"HIROTO!!!" Kidou shouted from behind the dumpster.

Hiroto expected the impact, but surprisingly it didn't come. He slowly looked up to see what happened when he saw the body of the infected on the ground. Hiroto's eyes grew wide and looked at the direction in front of him.

"I-Ichinose..." Dylan mumbled under his breath.

There stood a familiar figure that gave light to Aki's eyes. Ichinose's eyes are piercing like knives while he's trying to catch up to his breath.

"I-Ichinose, how...?" Dylan asked in utter disbelief as he got out behind the dumpster. Ichinose looked at him with those piercing eyes. Dylan thought that Ichinose would give them a cold approach because of what they did in the quarters. Ichinose kept looking at them with those piercing, cold eyes. But he was utterly shocked when the lad just gave him a sweet and warm smile.

"When you guys left, you gave me an opening. So I followed you," he grinned mischievously. Dylan and Mark looked down in guilt and shame.

"Ichinose, I..." Domon tried to call out but he was stopped by a tap on a shoulder by Ichinose.

"What's done is done," Ichinose nonchalantly said to him, making Domon's eyes grow wide. Upon spotting Aki, Ichinose quickly ran up to her.

"Aki!! I'm so glad you're safe!" He called out excitedly as he hugged her tight. Aki quickly hugged him back, tears accumulating in her eyelids.

"Me too! I'm so happy!" She answered.

"You're really in good hands, huh?" Ichinose smiled as he released her, "Endou-kun is really amazing!" He added as he grinned towards Endou.

As a response, Endou gave a small nod towards the boy, which made him confused about Endou's current behavior.

"I... I hate to break the moment, guys, but I hate our current situation more...!" Kogure's voice tinted with fear called out to them as he was pointing to the direction behind the group.

There stood a flock of infected, sloppily walking like they have no bones. At first, Endou and the others thought that the flock was going to their direction. What's unusual is, the so-called flock are heading in one oddly direction, towards the opposite street. That made them all curious as to why they are acting like soldiers lined up going to one direction.

Fubuki decided to peek at the street where they first saw those infected coming out of the buildings. He got more curious because the number of the infected they saw before are vastly reduced. However, the sight of a few infected standing beside the cars intrigued Fubuki more.

"Why are they acting so dormant...?" He asked himself in his mind.

"Guys, we need to get out of here," Ichinose whispered to them.

"Come to think of it, we're in the Italy area. Maybe we should go and look for the Italy's representatives." Kidou suggested as they hid silently behind the shadows.

"Ah, yes. I think it's two blocks away from here." Ichinose claimed with a smile.

The infected walked towards their own directions, dormant groans are heard, with the sound of shoes sloppily rubbing against the cold, hard asphalt. The current surviving group, Endou and the others made their journey towards Italy's soccer players. What was waiting for them? Will they really see Fideo, safe and sound?