4. The Road to Recovery

Start from the beginning

"I'm just glad she's okay." He concludes, snapping me away from my thoughts. Mon El then proceeds to walk down the same hallway he was walking on earlier and my unruled thoughts leave with him.

Iris POV

"Iris, I was looking for you. Brought you some doughnuts..." Kara enters the room and immediatly lights it up as she usually does. She places the box of donuts on the table in front of me and I smile at her.

"You seriously didn't have to-" She cuts me off before I finish my sentence.

"Oh no. I had to. National City's doughnuts are the best  in all the multiverse. They're like your Earth's Big Belly Burger. Guaranteed." Her eyes widen as she explains. 

"Thank you." I sigh and grab the pink glazed donuts with white sprinkles. She then sits right beside me and takes the chocolate one,  finishing it in one gulp.

"You know...I wanted to discuss something with you." She starts, her mouth still full with her second donut. I raise an eyebrow and she continues to speak: "Barry's been...different. I still can't point exactly what it is that's changed but I know somethings not exactly right." She wonders out loud.

I have two options: pretend I don't know what she's talking about or tell her the truth. I opt for the second choice. I sigh and look at the floor, trying to gather strength that isn't there.

"Kara, Im guessing he hasn't told you." I start. Her eyes soon fill with worry but I'm pretty sure she knows what I'm going to say way before I say it.

"Joe passed away 6 months ago." I inform her . Her face falls, her eyes close and silence alone sweeps in the memories...

FLASHBACK I (IRIS)

"Dad, you told me you'd be here for dinner. Barry cooked your favorite dish..." I whine as Joe excuses his absence with work. I hear him sigh on the phone.

"I'm sorry, baby. I have a lot of paperwork and Captain Singh asked me to stay." He explains. I look at the floor disappointed. 

"It's all right, dad. I love you." I tell him, eyeing the table with the gravy and roasted chicken set on top of it.

"I love you." He responds before hanging up. However, something about the 3 words when he says them, shake me at my core. I ignore it.

FLASHBACK II (BARRY)

"It sucks, Joe couldn't make it." I complain out loud while chewing on the roasted chicken. Iris nods before swallowing.

"True. But you know, when duty calls..."She explain. She pouts and I smile at her cuteness. I then notice something on her face and starts snorting in laughter.

"What!?" She laughs with me, unsure what i'm laughing at. But my snorts only make her laugh harder.

"You have a gravy beard!" I point at her and resume my laughter. She rolls her eyes.

"Barry Allen. You are so childish that sometimes I wonder if I married a 6-year old." She accuses me, pointing a fork at my face. I slowly calm myself down and leans in to kiss her, with the gravy and all.

"You married me because you love me." I whisper, touching noses with her.

"That's true. Forever and always..." She whispers back. Suddenly a harsh knock, startles us both. We stand up and I open the door. 

In front of us, there are two officers. Both remove their hats and bow their heads. Iris and I both know what that means, before a word is spoken.