11. Revelation

Alex POV

"He's really nervous..." Kara paces around the room as she gnaws on her thumb nail.

I raise an eyebrow at her. It's Barry who's going to tell Caitlin and Cisco he's been the villain all along but it's Kara who seems restless.

The crease on her forehead deepens. She quickens her steps around the room, like she's trapped inside the apartment.

"I think you're more nervous than he is." I comment. She becomes self conscious and pulls her finger out of her mouth in embarrassment. She shakes her head and exhales a long breath. I pat to the seat next to me and she sits down, burying herself against the cushions. Her lips pouting and gaze distant.

"He said I love you." She finally lets it go. I can't speak for a minute and my mouth is wide open in surprise. I remain quiet for a minute, partly because I don't know how to react and partly because I can't believe it.

She stares into the distance with a sad glance but a smile slowly crawls onto her lips and she turns her head towards me. Her childish smile grows wider.

"He said I love you!" She shouts, louder this time and I hug her tight in between high pitched squeals.

She abruptly pulls away and quickly composes herself, tucking her hair behind her ear. I'm officially confused. Wasn't she happy a nanosecond ago?

She clears her throat and the light behind her eyes leaves from a second to the next.

"But I mean...its no big deal." She whispers and returns to her normal passiveness. I shake my head in disappointment and disbelief.

I punch her in the shoulder as hard as I can manage, only to hurt my fist.

"Are you crazy!?" Kara flinches at my tone. "It is a big deal, Kara. When a man says he loves you, specially when a good man says he loves you, he's making a promise, Kara. He's honoring you, he's declaring himself at your mercy." I explain to her, and can't help but think about Maggie for a flashing second.

"He and Iris just broke up. It just doesn't feel right to rush things." She purses her lips. And I nod, understanding what she means with a silent 'oh'.

"Then take your time but Kara...just... don't give up on him, okay? You and Barry need each other. You're like Pam and he's your Jim." I say. She rolls her eyes at The Office reference but the childishness returns to her features.

"Shut up!" She presses a pillow against her reddened face and we laugh hysterically, while TV plays in the background. We happily munch popcorn and quiet down in a comfortable silence.

I meant what I said. Kara and Barry do need each other.

Since the moment Kara saw Barry, something flickered inside of her, something was just set a little brighter inside of her. With Mon El it was slow but with Barry it was instant, it was almost a reflex. Instinctive. Untaught.

I didn't say anything to her because I knew that she knew it. She knew that she wished to be by his side after something between them clicked. But I also knew that she knew that she wasn't going to go after him, not because of cowardice but because of selflessness.

Kara POV

"I'm ready, I'm ready, I'm ready, I'm ready" Barry murmurs under his breath as to reassure himself. I can see the sweat on his brow and his shaking hands as the bluish light expands into a worm hole.

He takes several deep breaths that look like a continuous series of mini panic attacks. I feel

"Barry." I call out. He keeps looking at the portal and rubs his palms against each other, like he's cold. He apparently doesn't hear me and proceeds to mumur other nonsense under his breath.