4. The Road to Recovery

Barry POV

"Damn, do you have a telekinetic power of some sort that you haven't told me about?" I ask Kara as she beats me for the 4th time in chess. She giggles and whispers checkmate to herself. I watch her smile and set every piece in position once again.

" Common Kara, I bet you are a lot more busy than being able to play chess all day long." I know why she's really here. The healing from my fight with Reign has been slow and painful. For the last 3 days, she's been here all day, bossing me around. It's more than I can say for Iris, who's been distant and mad for my sudden disappearance.

"I'd rather be here than anywhere else. Plus, chess helps me clear up my mind. Every piece has a purpose, a goal to be met and a sacrifice to be done. But it's all about strategy." I raise an eyebrow at her.

"A little philosophical today, aren't we?" I tease her. She rolls her eyes at me.

"As philosophical as 'we are the Flash'?" She laughs. Kara heard Iris repeating this to me over and over again without knowing that the reason she was doing so was not as romantic as she thought. 

I fake a smile and take a deep breath to restart the game. While Kara places the pieces, I somehow do the same thing, mentally.

She must see it in my face since she stops placing the pawns in order and stares at me with a confused expression on her face. I relive the night Kara came out of her coma and start noticing some odd things.

"Barry. What is it?" She asks, worried. I look up to her and open my mouth to speak but I hesitate as I order my thoughts.

"Kara...The night you woke up...Reign wanted to get to you..." I start mumbling. My brain is working at a different speed than my tongue is. Her full attention is on me now. I sit up form the bed and pull the puzzle together.

"Reign wanted to kill me. You saved me." Kara reassures me but I realize that she's wrong.

"But Kara what if you're part of her game. What if she has another use for you, like she's...reserving you for her next move." Her eyebrows knit together.

"Barry, I still don't understand what you're talking about." She speaks softly.

"What I mean is: What if Reign wanted to get to you. Not to kill you, though. But to save you. Save you for her divine move." I conclude. She seems to understand as her shoulders fall and her eyes reach mine, full of fear.

"We're not ahead of her.  She's ahead of us." She finishes what I was afraid to conclude.

---

"Mon El!" I call out as he's walking the down the hall. He turns around and I see the hesitation on his face as he looks around, confused. Probably because the last time we were together I had the intention to rip his head off. I jog to where he's at and take a deep breath.

"I owe you an apology..."I start. He squints his eyes at me as if searching for the lies in mine. 

"The night of the fight I noticed that the machine keeping Kara alive belonged to your team. I said you had killed Kara but then I realized that the only reason she was alive is because you guys were here. And although, I don't know if this happened because of you being here, I had no right to point fingers" He nods once and offers a humorless smile before offering me his hand to shake.

I shake it and smile at him as if in agreement. He might have forgiven me but I'm still not sure I have forgiven him. He, at the end of it all, hurt Kara. Kara has tried to explain that it was 7 years for him but it could've been a billion and I still wouldn't be able to live without her. As a friend. Of course. Right?